After removing the stock stereo and installing the new one it does not have power how do i get the after market to have power?

I did try checking the fuse for the radio and it was blown and i replaced. i tried putting in the stock back in to see if it had power, in which no longer did. The car is a 2003 Jeep Wrangler X model.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

When you don't know enough about what you are doing, 

have a professional deal with it.

• 8 months ago

Broken wire, blown fuse, poor wiring.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

There are 2 B+ power wires in the OEM stereo harness you chopped off, one for switched power from the car ignition ACC on radio fuse and another power wire always hot B+ that is for the head unit clock and memory. In many cases the stereo clock power wire will be on the cigarette / accessory power socket fuse. The head unit won't power on after you toast the clock fuse. Check your accessory socket, if dead, replace that fuse. If you had the ignition off when you cut the OEM stereo plug, you shorted out the clock power always B+ hot wire as the cutters shorted the wires at stereo head end connector to harness plug ground when cutting them all at the same time.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Check the fuse it is blown again.  If it is, remove the stock stereo, make sure the electrical connector to the stereo is not touching anything, replace the fuse and immediately check if the fuse blows.  If the fuse is blown, the power wire is shorting to ground.  You will need to check where the power wire is shorting to the car body or to a ground wire.  Look for burnt marks on the wires.  You will need to remove the electrical tape cover on the harness.  If you find a burn mark, inspect the wire and repair (Youtube has tons of videos on this).

If the fuse is not blown, put the new stereo back and see if it works. 

Looking for a short is not easy for amateur mechanics. You will need the help of a good mechanic. You can also have the option of powering the stereo direct from the battery using an inline fuse. Put a toggle switch to turn the circuit off when the engine is off. Good luck.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

i would hire a mechanic to come fix it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.