Linux is so cool! Why is it still so remotely used?

I'm using steam for playing with EFI in secure boot with my NVIDIA board enabled ^^

I use secure boot why I have a new notebook with windows

I tried Ubuntu way back in 2008....it was so easy to install and use that I never went back to windows. Currently I am using Ubuntu Mate 18.04 and I have never had an instance where I needed windows for anything.

I am not a techno-geek either.... I do not use the command line or terminal. I have on occasion done a "copy/paste" in terminal- but its rare. I just point and click with the mouse.

Its easy...... and has been trouble free for me.

Hi. I agree, but there are several factors that

make that a reality.

Gaming, kids know games on Windows.

Mom & Dad are not familiar with the term linux ... And the best Buy or Staples guy isn't going to explain it to them for a minimum wage paycheck.

Adult learning centers actually teach basic Windows usage, but not linux.

Nobody's made time to watch the Youtube videos of how some of the major distros look & feel, & how easy they are to use, either live from a disc or USB, or fully imstalled to a USB for updates / persistence.

Lastly, at least for this answer, NO TV COMMERCIALS.

G'Luck!!!

Android is more popular than windows, based on stats. The reason could be that computers are not portable.

• keerok

Linux has a high learning curve. It's more suited to people who have advanced computing skills. Unless someone makes a super user friendly distribution, it's not for the masses yet.

• Lv 7

so what if you don't have internet? how you gonna play games now?

Technically people are using it without even knowing it, but I think you mean as an operating system for a desktop or laptop. I suspect a lot of people don't even know it exists since most are not geeks to search the internet for such things. The other problem is that people like me who have used many distros of linux, we end up going back to windows for something that can't be ran on linux. I've tried using Wine to run certain windows programs with limited success, so if I am going to have to jump over to windows, why not stay there. The only area linux shines for me is if I need a server, then it is fantastic and I don't need to jump to windows for anything server wise. Linux is cool, it just has limitations and it's not always ready to go out of the box, meaning you have to configure things that would not need configuring under windows, which again is no problem for a geek like me, but most people would take a hammer to their computer with such aggravations.

People simply do not understand! friend Linux is not remotely used you have a cell phone called an Android cell phone probably do you not know that it's run by Ubuntu Linux? Linux is the most widely used operating system on the face of planet Earth! Most televisions and microwaves and PlayStations and other things of that nature use a very basic form of Linux as the operating system your bank ATM. Almost cell phones run on Linux it's not the least bit remote.

I don't understand what Secure Boot and EFI has to do with Steam...

But anyways, Linux has grown dramatically over the past years. However, Windows is still the dominant PC OS for various reasons like program compatibility, familiarity, etc. A lot of businesses run Windows and Microsoft products for their end-users. You could use Linux, but you have to figure out how much time and money it will cost to retrain users on Linux systems.

Also, a lot non-computer people usually have no idea about computers. When they buy a PC, it is usually a Windows PC or Apple. You don't see Linux desktops in stores, or at least they're not very common.

• Pete L

Most people think that Windows is the only operating system available! Silly fools!