L-Rey asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 8 months ago

What can I cook with these limited ingredients?

I have 2 eight oz cans of hunts tomato sauce, 1 sixteen ounce box of spaghetti, and 2.5 pounds of ground beef. I was thinking spaghetti but I've only ever used Ragu or prego pasta sauce, can I turn this tomato sauce into a pasta sauce??

Sure. Brown the meat, drain the fat. Saute some onion, garlic in olive oil, add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, ground beef. Simmer it 20 mins or so. Boil pasta separately. Serve with Parmesan cheese!

• Todd

Yes, only three suggestions...

- a long simmer

- garlic!

- seasoning (I would use an Italian mix, but you can make your own with oregano, basil, rosemary, and thyme in various amounts)

- don't forget salt

optional - if you have bread and an egg, make meatballs

• Clive

What is marketed as "pasta sauce" IS tomato sauce.  That and some of the ground beef would make a very simple ragu bolognese to eat with spaghetti.  Thinking of how I would make that, and that the sauce is in cans, I would go for frying 6-8 oz of the beef until no longer pink, add one can of sauce, simmer until thickened, meanwhile boil 6-8 oz of spaghetti.  Taste the ragu and season to taste, drain the spaghetti and mix it in.  That should do 2 people.  Obviously double up to make enough for 4 - that will use up all the sauce and spaghetti.

Or forget the meat and just heat the sauce to eat with spaghetti.

For the amount of sauce you have, no more than half a pound of meat. It will properly coat MAYBE enough pasta for two people, half the box or a little less. For that much meat, you need 4 to t times the sauce or the meat flavor will completely overwhelm the tomato flavor. You also need some seasonings.

• denise

Yes, with the addition of oregano, basil, a little minced onion, splash of worcestershire sauce, sprinkle of cumin.

• John

My mother's old dish was actually macaroni but spaghetti would work. One can of your sauce and about a pound of the meat and the pasta. Then lots of cheddar cheese melted in and green olives are recommended but not absolute. Sort of like a homemade Hamburger Helper, very American flavors. But good.....

for heavens sake, look on line for a simple spaghetti sauce recipe. You will have hundreds at your fingertips.

ANY jarred sauce is just tomato sauce seasoned and simmered.