Can this harm my lamp?

Every time the dryer in the basement is turned on my lamp dims and then throughout the period of the dryer being on my lamps brightens and dims off and on until the dryer is off.

If my lamp is on while the dryer is on can this damage it? If so, is it safe to keep it plugged in even if the light is off?

Is too much electricity going into the lamp that could break it? And/or is the outlet getting damaged that can ruin the lamp?

I had to stop using my previous lamp a few weeks ago. It was also very old but over the past couple years it began flickering and then all of a sudden there was a burning smell coming from it. Can the dryer cause this or was it just a coincidence?

I don't want to ruin my new lamp.

coincidence. Regular bulbs only last 1000 total hours and then they die....they go POOF.

It won't hurt the bulb .  It is running at a lower voltage while the dryer is sucking the power, which is odd because the dryer is 240V and the lamp is 120V so on 2 separate wires...from the breaker box. It should not even happen (unless someone has monkey-wired it and it is drawing power off one leg of the dryer.?   Try a different outlet is the easiest thing to do and see if the same thing happens.  The power surge won't hurt the bulb either.   

see my answer of a few days ago

• denise

It sounds like the electrics might 'cut out' if there are too many appliances on at once.

if it's an electric dryer, it takes a lot of energy.

the reason ur lamps dims off and on while the dryer is running, bc ur electric dryer uses it's heating element (that takes more power) on and off to heat the dryer to the desired temperature for ur clothes to dry.