If you were Ozzy in 1983, who would you have replaced Randy Rhoads with?

Bernie Torme, and Brad Gillis knew of Ozzy's antics and knew that they would not get the credit they deserved if they stuck with Ozzy.

It also seemed like Jake was trying to try a different style of music when playing with Ozzy. I mean Bark at the Moon sounded similar in terms of it being heavy metal when compared to Blizzard or Diary, but Ultimate Sin was not really metal.

I was thinking he could have tried back Gary Moore maybe he would have adapted the style? Probably not have fired Lynch and used Lynch which I think would have made more sense since he loves using flatted 5ths in his solos. It could have have worked out since his rhythm section isn't that busy compared to Jake.

Eddie Van Halen at one point did not want to be in the band and was trying to join Kiss, and he also made a song with Michael Jackson. EVH probably could have made some good songs for Ozzy and they would click together cause they both like to get drunk.

Slash would have been too young, but he accepted Zakk Wylde and Slash also does the classical acoustic stuff that Randy does so it would have been interesting.

• Andrew
    Favorite Answer

In all honesty, had I been in Ozzy's position, I'd likely have gone with an unknown guitarist, or at the very least, one that was not a well-established one. Why? 

For two reasons: Firstly, because coasting on the success of two albums that were released to critical acclaim I wouldn't have any reason to rush. "Blizzard of Ozz" and "Diary of a Madman" were released barely a year apart. Ozzy could have taken some time to think about what he wanted to do with the next record. The record label and the fans could have easily waited and Ozzy would have had ample time to think about which direction he wanted to take things. 

Secondly, taking someone on who would have appreciated the opportunity would have enabled Ozzy to build a working relationship with a player who would have been willing to write material that sounded fresh and original. Randy Rhoads would have been a tough act for anyone to follow, but going with somebody looking to make a name for himself would have worked out better than trying to sift through heaps of players who were just looking for career advancement. 

Jake E. Lee and Zakk Wylde were both decent players, but Ozzy might have found someone better if he hadn't been so willing to settle. 

• Andrew

That's true, but the Jake E. Lee era Ozzy stuff sounded a lot more Van Halen than the first two Ozzy records. 

Uli Jon Roth or Andy LaRocque.

Source(s): 79

If I was ozzy which I’m not because I’m a 21 year old female, I’d replace the guitar player with Baby Abbie.

I would have quit music. Ozzy's music isn't that great.