Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Is mail-order steaks worth the 3X cost???

Are mail order steak really tastier than the supermarket steaks?

For example I can get New York steak for $5/LB at market.

Mail order is $15/LB.

Mail order steaks are a massive rip-off.  However, the supermarket price is cheap because it's cheap meat.  If you want good meat at the proper price go to a real butcher.  Better meat than at the supermarket and waaay cheaper than mailorder.

If your local store sells NY steak regularly for $5/lb it is cheap steak. Go to a local butcher shop (or even a better grocery store) and buy a more expensive steak see if you can taste the difference. If not, then it is not worth it to you. Stepping up from select to choice to prime will generally yield much better steaks. But this doesn't mean that all choice steaks taste the same (these are labels of marbling).

You'll be getting a much higher quality meat but I don't think three times the cost worth. For $5 a pound you are probably getting Select, a slight possibility that you're getting Choice. For $15, while it might be a top level Choice or a lower-level Prime, you will notice a significant difference in tenderness. Select has much less fat marbling and that generally means a much less tender steak.

It can be very hit or miss, though. One Christmas, we were going to grill strip steaks because the forecast was for unusually warm weather (in the '50s instead of the '20s). The place I normally bought Choice strips on sale had them for $4 a pound more than another deli that was running a special on Select at $3.99. For that amount of savings, I decided to take a chance on the Select, and they were as good as any Choice I had from the other place. I have also had Select that chewed like shoe leather grilled medium rare AND marinated.

• Joe

Mail-order steaks are not worth the price

No not worth the price. 

And if you wait until the New York steak is on sale you can get it for less than $5.00 so you save even more.  (buy a few extra wrap and put in the freezer..just like mail order you will have them when you want for less.

no.  they get you with the allure of quality and convenience but when I cook steaks, I like to pick it out at the store.  

No, they aren't worth the price.

If you're happy with $5/lb NY steak, then keep eating it.

I have a deep discount grocery store who sells really inexpensive meat and produce.   Some of it is fine and some of it is not.    I personally wouldn't mail order steaks because it's just not hard to get a good steak at home for less money and no shipping.  I have a great butcher shop (two, actually) near me.   I think the fresh beef at Costco is quite good too.

That $5/lb NY steak is probably select grade.   Nothing at all wrong with it for the value/price.   If you are familiar with choice or prime, you WILL notice a difference.

Let me put it this way.   One might drink Coors as their daily beer of choice.   Beer is good.   But if you want to kick it up a notch (or entertain guests), you're going to serve a high IBU craft IPA, not Coors. 

I ordered steak ones from Omaha steaks, didn’t taste any different But I have a supermarket called Wegmans, it’s amazing

• curtisports2

We have had terrible luck with Wegmans beef over the years and do not buy meat there anymore. ALDI has better beef at a lower price but I actually buy more beef at Maines or a small butcher shop called Triano's.  I used to go to Palmers in the old regional market but the new place...$$$$$