Husband made our daughter choke on her food?

She's 6. He was yelling at her that she's not eating fast enough then spanked her. She had her mouth full and choked on her food. She coughed it up so hard she puked, then he yelled at her for that and told her over and over it was very bad of her. Would this be considered abusive?

Favorite Answer

Yes, that is abusive.  And it's abusive to the level that state involvement would be warranted if he was reported.  Family counseling would be a good idea.  But you absolutely need to intervene on your daughter's behalf.  Aside from the physical risk of choking (and hitting), her father is 'training' her to believe that screaming and hitting are good methods for making someone obey impossible demands, and that failing to obey impossible demands (like not puking) are deserving of punishment.  In other words, his methods toward her are damaging her body and mind.  If your husband will not learn new ways to parent, it's unfortunately your moral and biological imperative to do whatever it takes to make mealtime safe for your daughter....and to make sure she doesn't grow up believing that she has to scurry to obey every person who hits and shouts at her. 

• ANDREW

Well not that I ever wound but if I did that to my daughter pretty sure my partner wound kill me, he’s abusive your daughter deserves better

No. Not considered abusive.

• Rachael2 months agoReport

You are so naive

Dam straight, you need to tell him if that EVER happens again you will be calling the police on him and filing abuse charges against him. Are you afraid of him, does he talk to you that way? If so, go ahead and call them now, your daughter will have problems with him do her that way.

Your husband is a SOCIOPATH and you need a divorce. You need to study this 

website carefully, Do not tell him that you know he is a sociopath or he might just kill you and/or the daughter. I am surprised he is not sexually abusing your daughter. You should leave a recording device in the house next time he is there alone with the child  and if he is then you go straight to the police dept. www.lovefraud.com

• glcang

Are you kidding me. YES! Get a life!

It's considered abusive to me, and what parent tells a child they "eat too slow"? A lot of people are slow eaters. It's just their nature.

Your husband sounds like a completeAsshole

Yes Imina, it's abuse. In fact, if you don't report it, you can also find yourself in legal problems as by not reporting it you could also be charged should further problems with him develop. You have an obligation to report it to protect your daughter from future harm or death.

• J

You sure know how to pick-em.

Yep, now what are you willing to do about it?

• Linda

Absolutely and you should not allow him to treat her like that. That's awful!