Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 8 months ago

My dog bit me. It’s like a scratch but it bled. Should I see a doctor? *photo included, shows some blood*?

After talking to a vet they said that I should see a doctor just in case. I asked about my chances of getting Capnocytophaga because I remember people died from a dog bite, lick or scrape. She wasn’t sure of the risk.

I rinse it with hot water wash my hands with soap I even poured a little bit of vinegar on the cut to prevent bacteria and I added some triple antibiotic ointment.

Also, pretty sure my dog doesn’t have rabies she’s a chihuahua and small. This is the first time this happened. She found a turkey bone from somewhere and I was trying to take it away from her in case she swallows something and chokes and as I was taking it away with one hand and I use my other hand to sort of distract her she bit my left pinky.

• marty

Just clean it and use some antibiotic ointment and it should be fine. You could go and get a tetanus shot if you're real scared but that's about all a doctor can do other than what I already suggested. I've been bit a few times by playing with my dogs on the ranch.

It's fine...............

Capnocytophaga is RARE.

Look at how many people who are trainers, groomers, kennel workers and vets... They get bit regularly... Its RARE.

• no

If you don't take your dog to the vet often to do daily tests then you should check it out with a doctor in case anything happens.

IF your dog is updated on her shots, then you should stop worrying.

If your dog has rabies, then yes you need to see a doctor immediately.