Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 month ago

Should I quit ballet?

I'm 17 and I've been doing ballet since I was 10 I think. Last week we somehow started taking about our hobbies and free time at school and when I said that I do ballet, my teacher said "aren't you too old for that?"

I never thought like that and I can't stop thinking about it ever since. I even asked one of my friends if she thinks I'm too old for ballet and she said "you're never too old to do what you want" and she's partially right but it felt like she also thought I'm too old for ballet but was just being nice. I'm just doing it for fun. I don't wanna stop just because people think I'm too old.

At what age are you supposed to stop?

Why do people think that ballet is for little girls? Ugh!!!

my dance teacher is in her 30's. she teaches girls like you so you're fine

Never quit anything if you enjoy it. Live for yourself,  not others.  I'd even do it with you just to put you at ease.

• drip

People play sport at all ages. What the heck is the difference? My daughter teaches at a dance academy. One of their adult classes has 40-80 year olds in it. Yes 80 and she participates in the dance performances. 

This would of gotten me a bit riled up. And once calm I would of educated the teacher on ballet and dance. 

Go to youtube and look at the Royal house opera channel. Do the ballet dancers look like children to you? There is nothing childish about it. The fact that children can do it does not mean that it was created for children. Quitting, for what? To please a stranger? Do what you want. There is nothing dirty or horrible about what you are doing. You like dancing and there is nothing wrong with that. You ask many people something and there will always be that one Debbie Downer. 

• keerok

Your teacher just doesn't know better so don't mind her. Most kids start ballet when young because that's when their bodies are nimble enough to develop the right skills. You started late-ish but no problem. You do what you want as long as no one gets hurt.

You only stop doing ballet when you get arthritis or your toes can't take it anymore. Besides, before that happens, you'll feel the heat for not getting casted to any shows. The best time to stop is before all of those happen.

You don't have to ever stop until you feel you want to.  There are social classes for all ages including pensioners. 

I take 'seated ballet classes' in care homes 

I'm not sure what your teacher was thinking of saying something like that tbh. 

No your teachers a ******* asshole follow your dreams

• no

You're definitely not too old I think it's a great way to stay fit and be a part of something. Don't let one person say something that will make you question everything. Do what you want.

Your teacher made an ignorant remark as far as I am concerned. If she was correct all the most famous and successful people in ballet would be younger than you are. That is not the case, is it? Your real problem is that you are imagining things that aren't actually said( like your friend) and taking seriously other's ignorant comments ( your teacher). This is a result of spending too much time trying to find your sense of self-worth in the approval of others. That is definitely the wrong place to be looking, especially on social media.

• k w

NO ! at 17 you still got lots of hormones coursing through your body, try to be just concerned about your own opinion of what you want, not anyone elses........ask your mom when she stopped worrying about others opinions ! it'll free you up......really.....