How to avoid plaster from emit dust after plastering job?

I have a 5 Gal. All-Purpose Pre-Mixed Joint Compound at home and I need it for a plaster job.

However, I noticed after done with everything, that the product emits dust.

What can I do or put on the last layer to avoid this?

Favorite Answer

I am an old fashioned British plasterer of several years plaster is laid on with a trowel and with great skill laid flat and finally smooth by towelling it slowly as it begins to set hard throwing a little water on as you trowel it's an art and not easily achieved by a DIY er it should be hard and flat and will not be dusty you can seal it with a mixture of pva and water that will do the job but make it difficult to paint it's like glass then but it can be done with pva in the first coat of paint bye .

• GTB

paint the finished walls to seal it in

You can rent, or buy, a dustless drywall joint compound sander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpeAz6Z06s

Youtube thumbnail

• John

Joint compound is for sheet rock and all you can do is to try to keep the dust down by cleaning.  It is inherently dusty to use. Plaster is what equaliser is talking about and it's used for genuine plastering, and is relatively clean if used properly. If you are using joint compound for plastering then you are using the wrong product. The two things are very different.

NO!! anything you put on it will prevent the joint compound from drying properly

Source(s): grampa