How to get into the carpentry trade? ?

I really want to get into the carpentry trade. My options are fairly limited when going about this, here are my options: 

1. Try to get into the union, which for the locals around here is a 3yr wait which blows 

2. A local community college offers a carpentry course to learn the basics, but the campus is in a really sketchy area (Gary,IN) NO THANKS 

3. Ask a around a local contractors to see if I can possibly start off as a helper. (I have some experience which isn’t much; I helped my dad build a shed in our backyard one summer and loved the work and everything else that went with it, that’s when I realized I want to be a carpenter) 

i,m not sure how experienced you are

what you are look for if you like working

with wood and read blueprints and to

be able to build different thing this would be

a good place to start

apply for number 1. then see if you can get work as a laborer while looking for number 3. any construction experience looks better to an experienced workman [the carpenter you want to hire you as a helper] than no construction experience

• P

I would suggest ALL 3.  You absolutely MUST do #3. Work for dirt if you have to to get experience and don't flake out on them because you are doing too much grunt work with people who can't speak english.   That's how everyone starts out.     

You should also apply for #1 and get on the waitlist.  #2 is important especially for Union jobs.   I get the campus is sketchy, but you are only talking about 1 or 2 classes here.  Just suck it up and get it over with.   Working for a contractor or a bigger construction company you will get stuck working in all types of neighborhoods so you might as well get used to it on some level.  

The first thing is to get any construction job you can and then move towards what you want. Don't refuse something because it is less than what you want. The idea is to become exposed to the work and network with people. If you are seen when the opportunities arise, you will become part of it. So, look around, find all the opportunities you can, prioritize them for what you want, and then find a job. Use that job to find more opportunity.