Was Tom Scholz and Boston an underrated band?

In that era you had the British big 3 then Van Halen came around. American music consisted of the likes of Aerosmith, and Lynyrd at the time.

But I feel like Boston was in its own class. At the time they had the biggest selling debut album ever, and Scholz wrote the greatest rock anthem (More than a Feeling)(Can be discussed with We are the champions). I remember someone said that he took the Beach Boys harmonies and turned it into the guitar.

I loved his guitar work. While he was more of an engineer than a guitar player he was still great. No one before or after him utilized harmonies the way he did.

I thought the outro in Peace of Mind was excellent where he had that rhythm guitar playing the riff, then a lead guitar playing one riff, then the other 2 guitars come in one at a time. It felt like an orchestra, and it is definitely not easy to play live.

If anything maybe Randy Rhoads took a thing or to from him with Mr. Crowley. Brian May also used harmonies but not like Scholz. 

• Racer

Their first album in 1976 was very good! But then they did not release another album until 2 years later in 1978 entitled "Don't Look Back". The title is very odd as the 2nd album sounded exactly like the first album so while listening to it, it sounds like the band IS looking back!  

• Glen W

Not underrated. Very good songs on the first album. Second one was ok. Took way too long to put out the third, and now... who cares? 

• John

Ya hadda be dere.......

Not in my opinion. Boston was mostly Scholz, a perfectionist who took far too much time to put out an album, who managed to surround himself with capable musicians when touring, but no truly amazing players.

• Binks

I had heard that Boston's first album only involved Tom Schotz and Brad Delp, and was recorded in Tom's basement. Tom played all the instruments, and Brad sung. All the other members were originally the touring band. They did participate in the other albums.

• keerok

I like Boston, not Aerosmith. Lynard Skynard, just that one song. Queen, I love the most so don't even compare with Boston.