Am I slowly becoming an alcoholic? ?

I’m 21 and in Australia so the legal drinking age is 18 and I have gone my whole life not really being a big drinker. I hate the taste of alcohol and whenever I went to parties even at legal age I rarely had a drink, even at my own parties (18th and 21st). A few months ago I became severely depressed after a lot of personal **** happening to me and at first I wasn’t coping at all and eventually I started to drink. I don’t drink excessively, maybe 1-2 drinks a night but it’s most nights unless I need to drive somewhere (Still on P’s so zero BAC limit). The first thing in the morning I think about is having a drink and constantly throughout the day I crave alcohol. I don’t cave in if I need to drive that day though but a few times I’ve skipped important things like work and sports just to stay home and have a drink. I’m away right now for a weekend with my parents and not being able to drink is driving me crazy (I don’t want to change old habits as I don’t want them knowing I drink, I always drink alone in my room once they’ve gone to bed). My question is: Is this normal? Or should I be concerned? A drink or 2 a night shouldn’t be a big deal but to constantly crave it as if it’s all I can think about is a bit alarming. 

• Uri

I'm sorry but you sound like a big p*ssy. I used to drink entire bottle of Vodka in the morning without even having breakfast and in the evening I used to drink 2 - 3 bottles of scotch. I don't think you're becoming an alcoholic, you're moderate drinker. 

One or two drinks is moderate drinking for women so it's good that you don't do more than that when you drink. But i would say watch yourself and watch your drinking because people who get addicted they don't always start out as heavy drinkers and you might wanna find another way to cope rather than drinking everytime. Im not saying stop completely it's your life and you can do what you wanna do but im saying just don't make that your only coping mechanism.

you do you!!!!!!!!

You're either an alcoholic or you're not. Someone can be a heavy drinker but not be an alcoholic. Try going a few days without a drink. If you can do it you're not an alcoholic.

• Todd

- The reward center of your brain is very receptive, meaning cravings are strong. This is both a danger but for some people can be a good thing. The bad part is obvious. A person with a potent reward response turns the brain into a feedback loop, which means the more, and the more often, the merrier. There's no real way around that without finding other things to replace the substance part of it. This doesn't just apply to alcoholics. We have just as big a problem where I live with gambling addiction.

- Anyway, the flip side of it is a malleable brain also tends to be a more creative one, finding connections easier than a more stoic and set-in-your-ways brain. Many creative people suffer from addiction but can find ways to deal with it. The hard part -- accepting imperfection -- it seems you've already started to tackle. Now, I suppose the best thing to do is focus on your strengths.

Source(s): I went to group therapy for alcohol. Didn't want to, but was sort of cornered into it by the court. I actually enjoyed it and learned a ton of things about how and why the body likes addiction, and why more so in some people than others.
  • audrey

You may be one of the very unlucky people that can not have "just a couple drinks". You are very smart to have caught it before it caught you. You may have to quit drinking any form of alcohol. Just start watching yourself VERY carefully. Good luck.

I'm no expert but, yes, I agree that you should be concerned. 

• Will

"The first thing in the morning I think about is having a drink and constantly throughout the day I crave alcohol" 

I'm sorry but you have already become one. It at least sounds like it is a minor case of alcoholism since you have enough self control and sense of responsibility to never consider drinking if you know you have to drive. 

Since it is minor and you display self control, use that self control in a different manner and whenever you want alcohol, consume something else instead, preferably water I guess. 

• Todd

You don't turn into an alcoholic. A person is already disposed to be one.

• Carmen

Unforeseen occurrences befall us all unfortunately life anxieties tragedies otherwise can bring on depression and other abnormal circumstances can have a negative affect on anyone so whether you’re a alcoholic or not or just dealing with situations in a different way be careful talk to someone you trust and pray for self control a calm heart and peace of mind.

it is not that you are becoming one but YOU ARE one. learnt a lot when helping the homeless especially from the drinkers. sorry but you are an alcoholic already