What should a bands recording process be?

So, professionally speaking, a lot of people record each instrument seperately, sometimes parts aren't even created yet. So how should a song be invented, chronologically?

Chord progression > Lyrics > Drums > Guitar Solos > Bass ? 

what do you think?

For more context, if you record bass parts before guitar solos, it may interfere with what the soloist would have created, and vice versa. 

It all depends on who the studio engineer is, and how good they are.

The engineer will have their own preference, and (considering what a studio costs per hour) that's what you want to go with.  It's lovely if you can take the time to mic each drum piece and get the mix perfect, but unless you're Aerosmith nobody can afford it.  Most artists want to get done as quickly as their budget will allow, and following the engineer's preference is the fastest route.

What if the other instruments have solos as well? There are many ways to it. Bands do it differently because it works for them. There is no wrong way to do it. The saying is there is more than one way to skin a cat. There is more than one way to record.

• Andrew

One thing that I have never understood is how bands can record rhythm parts for drums without the real guitars there. I always play the rhythm guitar parts and have my drummer record my drum tracks with the real guitars going live. Then if I need to polish the track later, I will. But recording drums to a scratch track is just retarded. 

Can you not google this or look it up on a youtube search?

1. practice until the songs sound tight

2. record songs

3. mix songs

4. master songs

Source(s): 79
  • WUWR

It really depends on who you're talking about, everyone works differently and has their own methods that work for them. That said, here is how a typical song would be formed in the couple of bands that I was in that made albums:

1. The bones are formed either by the songwriter, or a collaboration, or formed out of a jam. Your basic "here's this thing. I may or may not have words, but I have the root chords, maybe a riff, and a melody." Sometimes there would be a sort of home demo that the songwriter made to work with, but not always.

2. We would play around with it for a while. Kind of figure out what we wanted to play with the bones of the song. What's working? What isn't? Workshop it for a while.

3. Demo it in pieces. Drums first, always! Click track, always. Typically a scratch track of the rhythm guitar for guidance with the drums. Then generally the bass. The real rhythm track. Now that the foundation is built you add your leads, pads and other keys, additional percussion if it wasn't done in the drum phase, and vocals in whatever order makes the most sense. In my experience the vocals coming in last seemed to work the best, though like the scratch guitar track adding a scratch vocal can be useful. I think the real vocals going last works best because I feel like you get the best performance with the full context of the song behind it. The parts would always be workshopped here too. Really dig into what sounds good and what should be changed. Are you playing the best version of the song? How well do the parts fit together? Parts are kind of semi-cemented here. This is also knowing that if, like in the example that you mentioned, say the bass is conflicting with the lead and adjusting the bass will be better than changing the lead you can easily go back and change the bass. Just overwrite it with a new track that works better. Since you're recording in pieces you can go back and adjust anything you like, everything if need be. This is where you try to "find the song."

4. Once you have it demoed, everyone kind of "hangs out with it" for a while. Keep practicing it. Figuring out if there is anything that isn't sitting quite as well as it seemed while you were recording it. Digesting it and analyzing it.

5. At this point if you need to go completely back to the drawing board you can repeat step 3, or if the only things that you feel like should be changed are minor, or if you don't want to change anything you would generally figure that one is good until you are ready to make a record. You can redemo it for the changes or go back and edit the demo that you made, or just live with it until you're ready to formalize it. Whatever your needs are. 

Personally, I always loved the demo phase. Getting together with the songwriter/band leader guy and hammering out what the song would grow into. I was always a big fan of the recording process, even though it can be quite tedious. I loved the process and seeing what comes out of it.

So, like I said everyone has their thing that works for them, but that's how we did it and I think it's a somewhat standard approach.

• joleo1 month agoReport

Thank you for that. I loved how you connected your explanation to your past experiences. The info given was a really nice look in the mirror for what I've been doing for years with my band. We do a lot of this stuff, and we've been seeing it as strange, now not so much! Great response.

• Me2

Obviously, the melody, chord progression, and lyrics (possibly incomplete or not in final form) are created first.

When an ensemble is available, record a bed track.  This consists of drums (acoustically isolated), bass, keys, guitars, and often a dummy lead vocal (not intended to be retained); you may also have dummy solos.  Vocals and final solos are recorded later.

When tracks must be recorded separately.  I'd suggest simultaneously recording a rhythm guitar part†, even if not intended for the final mix, with a click track (preferably a drum machine rhythm).  Next, drums and bass in the order you prefer.

[ † The rhythm guitar acts as signposts as the song progresses.  To that end, you can also record on this track a call-out about two bars before each new section. ]

Record guitars and keyboards next, then lead and BG vocals, and finally solos.  Again, the exact order depends on your preference — you might want all the solos in place before committing the lead vocal.