Diana
Diana asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 2 months ago

British members: If the queen and her husband suffered a fall, as seniors do, would commoners be allowed to catch them if they could?

I would assume so, yes. In fact I’d imagine it would be seen as their public duty. 

Most people would look the other way. 

• No. Royal protocol is that commoners must not touch a member of the royal family unless invited to do so.

Yes. But the Queen’s breasts, buttocks, and genital area must never be touched whilst catching her if she was falling. 

I think natural reflexes would come to the front and it would be an automatic catch. I do know that when Princess Anne fell over and someone tried to help her up, she angrily shrugged them off.

I think you'll find this won't happen.   Not even to an increasingly frail and elderly Queen.   She just won't put herself in such a situation.  People aren't supposed to 'touch' HM, but in the unlikely situation that this did happen, I guess steps would be taken to avoid an actual fall.   You may find this is part of why the Prince retired from public royal occasions - just in case.   And should the Queen feel unable to carry out her duties at any point soon, she will make arrangements so she's never in that situation.   In other words, Charles would step forward to take up her duties, as he is already doing.

They won't fall so it doesn't matter. They have disabled chariots, come to think of it an able bodied person would need a chariot to get from one end of the palace to the other without running out of breath.

• Rico

Of course commoners would be allowed to catch them.  Their staff are all commoners anyway.  

• Clo

To prevent an injury to a royal a commoner would be able to touch them.