Can you legally get your own songs on a cd?

Like my sister said she put songs on a blank cd but technically she did it illegally... How do you do it legally then, so I can just have all my songs on one cd and customize it more than buying cds...? 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

There seems to be a great deal of confusion about what is, or is not, legal regarding music these days. People don’t seem to know where the line is between enjoying music from an artist or band that they like or violating the copyright protection of that same music. Below is a list of common myths associated with buying, sharing and listening to digital music and what the realities are.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Some people got into trouble downloading songs from the internet for free, and they were sued. If you buy your own CD and burn your own favorite songs onto a CD-R, you won't get in trouble for doing it. I think.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No you can't. You have to go through a third party business that specializes in it. It's the law.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

What law is that? In what country? In the USA? Did you read the Audio Home Recording Act, while you doing your research?

• 2 months ago

You're never going to get arrested.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

For music that YOU legally OWN

- for example: you bought a music CD

- for example: you paid to download an MP3 at a reputable site such as Amazon

you are allowed to make copies of it for YOUR use

including recording copies onto a CD for YOUR use.

Legality is less clear when you are making copies for others to use. I've heard different claims.

When you are making copies for SALE (on any medium) you are definitely violating copyright laws.

• 2 months ago

If you acquire the material legally, 

you can make your own custom CDs from it. 

What is illegal is selling --- or even giving away --- 

CDs you make of works to which you don't own the rights. 

• Jay
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

You believe everything you hear, huh? And you also imply that laws are identical throughout the entire world

It's illegal to ask a question about this and you can get 20 years in a federal international prison for doing so. What do you think about that?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.