I have my aunt that is in SSI goverment help. can she do a K 1 visa?

3 Answers

  • 10 months ago

    No, your aunt cannot sponsor any immigrant, or cosponsor, either. Anyone on any public benefits, including welfare, food stamps, Supplemental Security Income (federal welfare program), etc, cannot sponsor. She has to be off all benefits & totally self-supporting for a minimum of 3 years before she might qualify, if she earned enough.

    If she were on Social Security (retirement or disability), AND her income met support requirements, then she could sponsor or cosponsor. Social Security is earned, not any "entitlement" or "public benefit" unlike welfare programs. However, support requirements are far higher than the vast majority of Social Security recipients' income, unless they also have a pension, or investment income from their retirement plan. Average monthly check for Social Security recipients falls below poverty level.

  • 10 months ago

    If she lives alone, has no dependents, and her income is at least $26,662 according to her latest federal income tax return, then yes.

    Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • 10 months ago

    i would talk to immigration about it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.