Would you take this job?

I took cake decorating courses and I found a job as a cake decorator even though I don't have experience.  The problem is I don't drive any more and the job is in a different city.  I live outside the city limits and I will have to take a cab to the bus station and take the bus to where the two cities bus routes connect.  My sister says it's not worth it but I think it is.  The bus is 4.75 round trip and a cab or Uber will be 10 dollars each way.  My sister says besides the commute it's a dangerous city but I was homeless there once and nothing happened to me.  What do you think?  I will make between 12 and 15 dollars an hour full time.

• Kelly
    Favorite Answer

I own 3 bakeries... 

Ubuer/taxi if you work 5 days a week will be $400 a month.  Does the bus run 24 hours or at least very late or very early?  The city I'm in the bus system doesn't run 24 hours (but does start up early) and sometimes for bad weather shuts down (I'm in a snowy state).  If the weather is severe though I close the bakery, nobody is running out to buy donuts during a blizzard.

My cake decorators work usually very early in the morning because a lot of people want to pick up their cakes or items before noon and some cakes take a few days to decorate (usually elaborate wedding cakes).  They also decorate cookies and things like that too.  By early they start at 3-4 am, after the items have cooled enough after baking.  A lot of cakes though are decorated a few days after they are baked though.  

Right now due to holiday baking orders, my bakers and cake decorators work have shifts that work around the clock they work 1st/2nd/3rd shift.  In a bakery most baking is done on 3rd shift hours.

Right now is the busiest time of the year for most bakeries, it's not uncommon for bakeries to not allow any extra time off from November-January and it's possible to be working 6, if not 7 days a week.

Is a layoff a possibility?  Some bakeries business really slows after the holiday rush and some layoff January - April when wedding season starts up or for Easter orders (though officially wedding season starts in June).

There's a lot of variables but in the end you have to start somewhere.  For someone that just completed some cake decorating courses, I'm unlikely to want them to decorate cakes, especially wedding cakes.  In all likelihood, they would start doing cookies and maybe doing some writing on cakes.  Most of my cake decorators have culinary training emphasizing in pastry chef and can do more than cake decorating.

• Jerry

The voice of experience ... well stated!

So $24.75 a day to get there, making $96.00 - $120.00 a day. Less taxes. It's up to you.. Good luck!!

I’d take it if you *absolutely* need a job right now, but I’d also keep your eyes open and keep sending out resumes for something else that’s local.

Like Kelly said, they may just be bringing you in to hell with the holiday rush, and then they might let you go next month once it’s over. Another good reason to keep looking for a local job.

Does your town have a supermarket Where you can work in the bakery or as a cashier or stock person ? Can you pump gas? Wash dishes in a restaurant? Waiter? Receptionist for a hair salon?

Do the maths - figure out your weekly total spend (bus fares + cab), vs your weekly total income (minus any taxes).

I think you'd be paying a lot in time and also money for travel expenses, but if you feel it's worth it to you, then do it.

• Ron

Your sister is smarter than you. Dimo did the math

i would take it if you need a job

• Dimo

This is why math is needed in life....

$12 to $15 an hour, 8 hours a day -- $96 to $120 a day.   GROSS.

After taxes, probably 15% income and social security taxes --  you will net $80 to $100 NET.

Deduct your transportation cost, your daily home take money is $55 to $75 a day.

For 8 hours working, plus 2 hours traveling.

You are working for $5.50 to $7.50 an hour.

....

$25 a day, 5 days a week, 4.33 weeks/month -- you will be paying $540 a month for just to/from work.  You can buy a new econo-car for $500/month -- payment, taxes, insurance, gas, etc..

no. give it to someone who actually lives in the city. or move. or get a car!

why exactly do you think it's worth it? this job isn't THAT lucrative... money adds up, and quick.... I make $25 an hour and not even I would waste the kind of money on transportation.

that's about $25 a day, $250 per paycheck already taken out...

you'd have about $1040 per paycheck (averaged $13/hour). minus the 250 which leaves you with $790. you really have to think about this here...

• Jerry

$25/day;$125/week...out of your net pay...that's quite a chunk. Even if you were to use Uber or Lyft, that commuting expense is significant. Only you can determine if those costs are worth the job.