My sons 2nd grade teacher yelled at him, am I over reacting ?

Ok here’s the back story. My sons 7 in the 2nd grade. He’s a pretty shy quite kid. He does struggle in math. At the end of the school day the teacher told all the kids to hand in there work an put it on her desk. My son instead thru the paper away. The teacher ask him where it was an he lied an said he handed it. She found the paper in the trash and starting yelling at him. She yelled why did u throw it away. He didn’t answer her an she began to repeatedly yell hello why did u do it I’m waiting I’m waiting why did u do it. I feel like she handled the situation wrong when I pick up my son he had a look on his face like he sean a ghost. Am I over reacting if I ask them to switch his class. 

Favorite Answer

No you are not overreacting.

You should switch him to a nicer teacher, no matter what.

• Charlie1 month agoReport

At Star the teacher simply should have just asked without yelling, why he threw his homework away because maybe he was afraid that his teachers would be disappointed about the answers he wrote on the paper or maybe he forgot to do it.

No that wouldn't be an overreaction. The teacher is insensitive.

You are not over reacting. It's not the teachers place to yell at tour child. Sime parents do not yell at their children. If the teacher felt your sons behavior warranted yelling, she ahould have discussed the issue with you, and let you decide what to do. Teachers are there to educate, and guide children, not yell at them. The TEACHER is an adult that should be held accountable for her actions. Your son is a child that SHOULD NOT be afraid of his teacher. Her yelling at him obviously made him afraid. It's good that he feels same enough to tell you about the situation. Not all children feel comfortable enough to even tell their parents for fear of getting in trouble by the parent as well. Too many things go untold because children are afraid.

Did you ask your son why he threw his homework away? His teacher shouldn't have yelled at him but your son definitely should have gotten a lecture and he should be disciplined for throwing away his homework.

• GB

Did you ask your son why he threw it away?  He was calm enough to stay quiet and tantalize the teacher, but  played the victim when you picked him up. If I was him, I would have at the very least received a lecture from my parents and made to apologize to the teacher. I was also shy, and bad at math.

It's time your son learns what it means to be held accountable-

Your son was asked to hand in his work, he chose to throw it out, and then proceeded to lie about it and then lie some more on top. He knew what he was doing from start to finish! He didn't want to do the work, decided to toss it, when caught, he thought he could wiggle his way out of it.

You asking to switch the class, will not change things! Your son clearly needs to learn how to be held accountable, you would only be re-enforcing his poor behaviour by switching classes.

So what the teacher yelled at him? If you or I ****** up on the job, we'd be reprimanded and then fired on the spot! Your son is in school to not just get an education, but to learn some very valuable life lessons. Did she mishandle things? Maybe, because whenever someone has to yell, they have lost all control of a situation. However, I certainly see where she is coming from! She has to manage a class of 20-30 students for 8 hours a day/5 days a week, and its clear your son was really trying her patience. 

I think your son need a tutor for starters, if he struggles in math, that will help him do better in the subject. The onus is on you to find a tutor for him, so that he can get back up to speed in math, this way he can do at least so/so in it at school.

I also think your son owes his teacher a MAJOR apology! The first for refusing to do his work, the second for tossing it out, third and fourth for lying about it, fifth for wasting a good chunk of her time. So what that he's 7, he's old enough to know better, and its time he start taking accounablity for himself and not come running to you trying to snow you over what really happened.

• Amanda2 months agoReport

Still it.doesn't make it right for a teacher to scream at a student..wtf, she needs to be fired 

How do you know for sure this happened? Were you there??

• Jill

Yes you are overreacting. 

Yes, you are over reacting .

Remember you are only hearing one side of the story.

If that is truly what happened, I wouldn't be thrilled about that reaction either. Probably should talk to the teacher yourself before escalating anything else. Not sure whats with all these trolling responses you're getting, you have asked 5 questions ever and none of them seem like trolling. People like me troll on here too much I guess, so now Yahoo Answers has become like a witch hunt for trolls.

• tina2 months agoReport

Ya I’m not sure either. 

Trolling, trolling, trolling.

When you don't have basic writing skills in English, don't pretend to be a parent.

• Tatum2 months agoReport

Writing skills have nothing to do with parenting. Where are you getting this connection? also, you don't have to speak or write in English to be a parent. You seem like the troll here.