Can you do a walk-in for California Drivers Test?

My coworker told me she did a walk-in at Lodi and they let her take her driving test, and she got her license. I’m not sure if I should try because I’d have to use my mom’s car so she’d have to ask for the day off at work. Most people on the Internet said you can’t but I’m not sure. 

That is 1 in a million.  So the odds are stacked against you.  You have to write the written first, meaning you have to study the 100 page manual and they have a practice test at the end of over 50 questions.  You have to get like 48 right to pass.  Then they have to do a quick eye examination.  Before you even get to the road test.  Most times an appointment is made for it as there is so many people wanting to do the road test, so they do them in order.

. Plan on the appointment set up after you do the studying first. Some study for weeks because they need to ACE the test.  The examiner is a GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE,  He gets paid by the hour, so if you pass or fail does not affect his wages. So he lets NONE SHALL PASS who do not deserve to pass.

. The road test he is even harder. He don't care about your situation with your mom's car.  You have to figure that out yourself.   I bought my BEATER and it was road legal.  So good enough.  So if you don't have friends, that is not the Examiner's fault.   FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF.

She lied. How was she to show her driving skill without a car??

• May

No.  I cannot "do" a walk in for a California drivers test......but thanks for asking.

Grammar matters

• Ron

You can certainly walk in and hope a spot is open

Schedule an appointment. The DMV may be busy as usual.

When I got my license, I had to make an appointment because the DMVs in Orange County are so busy. Walking in is not recommended IIRC.

Maybe, if they have had a last minute cancellation or no show and you just happen to be there.

• g

You certainly could try, Adrien, but who knows how long you might have to wait without an appointment.  It could be a couple of hours or a half day.

Why not simply make an appointment so you can take the test whenever you wish.

You can, but you will wait ALL DAY. No exaggeration. The lines go out the door and wrap around the building less than five minutes after they open.

How about just making an appointment.  It is the best option with NO risk of getting denied.