If some who weighs 110lbs and someone who weighs 200lbs have the same BAC, is one more drunk than the other?

Thanks CB thats what I thought

• CB

No they are exactly the same amount of 'drunk'

Yes. Your bodyweight and the amount of alcohol determines BAC.

No. The 200 pounder has a higher volume of alcohol in their system but their blood volume is also higher. If BAC is the same they are equally intoxicated.

If they have the same bac then they are both equally drunk

There seem to be a lot of questions posted here about alcohol by people who are really, really misinformed. I'm guessing that these people are American?

If you are judging how “drunk” a person is by the level of alcohol in their blood then they are both equally “drunk”.

If you are judging how “drunk” a person is by the way they behave - the apparent effects of the alcohol, then it is impossible to say. A person's weight has little if any effect on their reaction to alcohol. Years ago I knew a girl who was tiny. She could drink and drink and drink and it would appear to have no effect at all. She had a reputation for being able to drink anyone under the table!

Over the years I have encountered many smaller people than me who could drink more and seem sober. I have also known bigger people who could drink less. I could drink far more when I was younger and yet am now probably about 50-60 lbs heavier.

• blank

Not techncally. Just a higher tolerance Due to the weight differences.

No, but the big guy consumed more alcohol to get there.

What we measure as intoxication is peak plasma levels of the particular intoxicant. Or the plasma levels in the blood at the time of testing. For drunk driving as an example, you could have been wasted 12 hours ago at a BAC of 5.0. But by the time you drive, you need to test at the legal limit in your applicable area.

The typical abilities test you see cops give people; walk the line, touch your nose, etc tests ability before bothering with the breath test. Frank;y I think it's about money, not wasting a $3 mouth piece on every stop. That said, ability is subjective, not necessarily related to plasma levels reported as BAC. One argument to show this is that Kurt Cobain is argued to not been able to operate a gun with his plasma level of heroin. However, the counter argument is as a life long addict, that high level may not have incapacitated him as it may have a new user.

Some people are falling down drunk with the spins with 4 beers. Old cowboys might drink a 5th of whisky in a day and have double the BAC of the 4 beers kid and still work on the farm as usual, as they have for 40 years now. The variable of body weight only relates to the absorption and distribution (psychopharmakintetics) which we now know doesn't matter given other variables.