How do I file for tax exempt if I’m a student?

I currently work at Jcpenny. I’ve always knew that they’ve been taking money out of my paycheck, but after working the past holidays, I’ve received only half of my check which is outrageous. I need to find how how to get my money back

11 Answers

  • 10 months ago

    You NEVER file for tax exempt and being a student is irrelevant to if you owe taxes.

  • zipper
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

    You file your income tax and claim all your dependents at that time. Plus your paying into unemployment insurance, your just learning that everyone has their hand in your pocket. Tax exempt does not exist, unless your died or not working, then may be!

  • 10 months ago

    You fill out a W4 indicating you are exempt (legally you must actually BE exempt). This halts INCOME taxes, not FICA taxes.

  • 10 months ago

    You don't. Taxes must be taken out of your paycheck, even if you are a student. Being a student does not make you exempt.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

    What makes you think that being a student makes you tax exempt? It doesn't.

    For federal if you made less than a certain amount total, and if you worked only for the holidays you very possibly did, you'll file a tax return to the IRS and get the FEDERAL withholding back. Many states work the same way by filing a state return. Some states, you don't get the state withholding back. You don't get back what's taken for social security and medicare, they keep that. If you are sure you won't owe any federal for the year, you can claim exempt for federal only, on your W-4 - has nothing to do with being a student. If you're not just exaggerating, and half of your check was withheld, there was something else taken out, taxes don't take that much. They should have given you a check stub or something, showing the deductions - look at it.

  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

    Welcome to grown up life, kiddo.

  • 10 months ago

    Uh, how did you fill out your W-2 when you were hired?!

  • 10 months ago

    If you have only received 1/2 your check, you need to go to your payroll department to find out why there is an error or to see if you have done something incorrectly with your W4 form.

    An executive might see close to 50% of the check go to taxes.  An entry level employee should not have that situation.

    You will get any overpayment refunded to you when you file taxes.  Although, I understand that is a long wait when you need the money.

    You can complete a new W4 form at any time.  It might take a 1-2 pay periods for the change to be reflected on your check.

  • 10 months ago

    Students are not automatically exempt.  Whether or not you will have a tax liability depends upon your income.

    File a new W4 with your employer.  See Line 7 and read the instructions.

    You will have to file a new W4 after the new year, as well.

    Welcome to the real world.

  • Eva
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

    You file a tax return when you get your W2. If you overpaid your federal and state income tax, you will get a refund. The Social Security (FICA) and Medicare taxes are taken from everyone that works and are not refundable or exempt. If you have no tax liability, you can file a new W4 with your employer and claim exempt. Be aware if you do this, you may owe money when you file your tax return the following year.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.