Where does used well water go?

I am looking at installing a well to receive water instead of connecting to city water supply. Where does gray water (water from showers, sinks, etc) go after it goes down the drain? I will have a septic tank for black water; does it go there?

I have well water and it goes to the towns sewer and I am charged a sewer fee.

up s*it's creek

Were do you live? Wells are basically illegal in the united states since you screw with the water table.

If you can connect to city water you need to do so.

Its funny you ask though, how did you get enough money together to decide to put in a well? Wells are prohibitively expensive.

• Droopy

Really? Please tell me your joking? You are joking right? 

It goes the same place after you install a well as it does now. Depends upon how the plumber runs the pipes.

two choices ... grey water can be added to the black water in septic tank [pls discuss with your septic contractor ... this may be, in part, desirable in order to help the septic function properly] or it can be dumped into a separate leech field. [I've even seen some rural installations that (illegally) just dump their grey water onto a local hillside (thirty feet away and downhill of their well, of course)].

Source(s): grampa

If you have a septic tank, grey water from the sink, tub, washer, toilet , etc. is what churns up the water in the septic tank to break down the solids before it goes to the drain field. Well water is the input,

In most places, all waste water has to go to a septic tank or septic field. You may still find the odd place, somewhere pretty remote, which allows grey water to go to a separate place--we used to call them 'soap runs' where I lived in the 1970s, they were just a sort of shallow ditch in the yard, maybe with gravel in it--and you may find older houses which still have that kind of thing even though places built more recently weren't allowed to.

You may find that if there is piped water available you are not allowed to install a well for water for drinking and so on. If you already had a well and then they brought in piped water, sometimes you can keep your well, or maybe only be allowed to use it for outdoor uses like gardening or washing a car.

• Tulip

Septic tank and it probably won't be permitted

• Mark

Toward whatever is downhill.  It's fairly expensive, but you CAN have two set of wastewater pipes:  One for greywater from sinks and showers that usually goes into a barrel and can be used for watering the garden, etc, and one for blackwater (from toilets, that goes straight into the septic tank