digis asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Fluent speakers of English, could you help me with my English?

I need to translate a historical text but I'm not sure it sounds natural for English speakers as I'm not a native speaker. Do I need to make any corrections? I would appreciate any answers.

The Smiths family tried to ensure that the revenue from their taverns would not decrease as a result of the presence of the taverns owned by the Jones family.

Favorite Answer

The Smith family tried to ensure that the revenue from their taverns would not decrease as a result of competition from taverns owned by the Jones family.

What is the name of the family who own the taverns? Is it 'Smith', or (less likely) 'Smiths'? Is the owner 'Mr Smith' or 'Mr Smiths'?

If, as we all expect, the answer is 'Smith', delete the 's' on the end of 'Smiths'.

The rest is fine, but I can't help wondering WHY the revenue should decrease. Are the Jones family's taverns new? If so, it might be worth just briefly indicating the fact, eg:

... 'as a result of the newly-opened taverns owned by the Jones family' ...

• reme_1

The Smith family or the Smiths

Sounds pretty good.

OK but might need to describe Jones family taverns better ....."the "new" taverns would work or use other words like "beautiful, rugged, nasty old drunken.....you get the picture....

Ummm? Me speak no iglish today.

Me from Merica my nation

• God

The Smith family tried to ensure that the revenue from their taverns would not decrease as a result of the presence of the taverns owned by the Jones family.

Take off the s.

Smith and the rest is perfect.

English