digis asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Fluent speakers of English, could you help me with my English?

I need to translate a historical text but I'm not sure it sounds natural for English speakers as I'm not a native speaker. Do I need to make any corrections? I would appreciate any answers.

The Smiths family tried to ensure that the revenue from their taverns would not decrease as a result of the presence of the taverns owned by the Jones family.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The Smith family tried to ensure that the revenue from their taverns would not decrease as a result of competition from taverns owned by the Jones family.

• 2 months ago

What is the name of the family who own the taverns? Is it 'Smith', or (less likely) 'Smiths'? Is the owner 'Mr Smith' or 'Mr Smiths'?

If, as we all expect, the answer is 'Smith', delete the 's' on the end of 'Smiths'.

The rest is fine, but I can't help wondering WHY the revenue should decrease. Are the Jones family's taverns new? If so, it might be worth just briefly indicating the fact, eg:

... 'as a result of the newly-opened taverns owned by the Jones family' ...

• reme_1
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The Smith family or the Smiths

Sounds pretty good.

• 2 months ago

OK but might need to describe Jones family taverns better ....."the "new" taverns would work or use other words like "beautiful, rugged, nasty old drunken.....you get the picture....

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Ummm? Me speak no iglish today.

Me from Merica my nation

• God
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The Smith family tried to ensure that the revenue from their taverns would not decrease as a result of the presence of the taverns owned by the Jones family.

Take off the s.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Smith and the rest is perfect.

English

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.