Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 8 months ago

What are the primary causes of the gender pay gap?

68 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favourite answer

Women get pregnant, men don't.

That is of course an over simplification, but it is the basis of many differences we see between men and women, including the pay gap.  Women getting pregnant is why men are seen as providers.  It's why men take on more dangerous work to earn more, it's why men work overtime, it's why men work more hours than women, etc. etc.

There are many, many studies showing that the primary causes of the gender pay gap are men and women making different work choices  The equal pay act of 1963 makes it illegal to pay women less for equal work.   

Given the equal pay act and the numerous studies explaining how women make different work choices than men, the real question is why the gender discrimination myth still exists.  The answer to that can be summed up in one word:  feminism.  

• being gay is the primary cause

• The Me
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Gender ability gap?

• 8 months ago

What gender pay gap?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Women working less lucrative jobs, fewer hours, and not pursuing promotions.  There is no actual statistically significant gender gap comparing men to women in similar positions.

• Al
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Primarily the Ego I believe, a male dominated ego that has been around for thousands of years.... I happen to believe woman are far superior in many levels over men, men's physical strength dominates most woman, but on a intellect level, they are a cut above.

• 8 months ago

there is none

now gimme 200 bucks

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

there is not one... if you want equal pay for equal work,, you also support equal work and no special treatment  ----------- time on the job and difficulty of the work is the main reason for averages showing this mythical description

women leave the work for for years to have children those effect the numbers..

a man who goes to work at 20 works for 50 years will be paid more than a women or man who leave job after job and does not stay with it for the full 50 years working parasitically for 25 years in that 50 year period.

as well hard work is often shunned by women like oilfield and plumbing 

if they want equal pay they must do equal work 

job experience is only learned by years on the job not some school room training program 

in a work force of 30 people only one is the boss.... and whining because the women doing the job for 10 years is not the boss while the 28 men been doing it 20 years plus are still not the boss either 

REAL women understand this and respect it... only those not qualified are upset at the facts and truth 

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Discrimination. Also, I'm a freaking retard. 

• 8 months ago

Because women accept lower wages, I do the same job as other guys and some earn more and some earn less, but it is based on what we negotiated in our interviews, ergo I am happy with what I got or I would not do the work, we all know what each other earns. if a woman or man finds out he/she is earning less for doing the same job and is not happy about it, she should ask for the same money or get a better paying job, simple really.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

I think it's interesting to consider that many people are generally happy with their wage UNTIL they learn someone else earns more than them.

Even when they learn someone is making more, they don't want to quit over it. It would make greater impact if the women's soccer team QUIT over not getting paid the same than if they protest, then go win a game for LESS MONEY.

They undervalue themselves... if the money isn't worth your effort then don't do the effort and find someone who will pay you what you deserve.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.