? asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 8 months ago

How to be polite when saying you wont give rides anymore?

Its just a quick question. This girl in my english class always wants rides and I used to just do it cuz idk (we are not really friends tbh), and I just don't wanna give her rides anymore. Like my car had some issues in the past so I didn't give anyone rides when i got it back and 3 days later after I get it she asked for a ride. She doesn't give me gas money and just always expect to get a ride from me. And its just a waste of gas cuz then I would have to go back to the school and wait to pick up my sibling. Just how do I let her know she's not getting rides from me anymore without being harsh. Thanks.

• Misty

Be honest and say your car isn't working properly and you don't want people in it right now.

Just be nice don't worry.

• Raja

Say sorry when I go to drop you and get back to school to pick up my children they will have to wait for me unnecessarily.I do not want to make them waiting for me ,so I will be picking them up early and I will not be able to give you a ride hereafter.Please find your own way.Thanks.

Just tell her.. ASSS, GRASS, or GASSS... NOONE rides for free...

If you tell her sorry not today, she'll just ask tomorrow. I know its hard to speak up sometimes, but it has to be done. The next time you give her a ride tell her this is the last time I can do it, your going to have to find your own way home this is out of my way. Don't give her a bunch of reasons because she don't deserve it ( she is taking advantage of you) If you mention gas is expensive she'll probably say I'll give you gas, then do it one time and still expect rides. It's nice to go out of your way to be nice, but you have to be careful because people really do take advantage and are not considerate that's why I usually say no lol.

• Ona

No, I can't today. And no "sorry" and no excuses.

Saying no is something you can do.

• blank

Can try these:

"sorry, can't make a special trip - gas is just so expensive these days"  (does NOT work if you drive a Prius or Tesla, wink wink)

"sorry, had to cut expenses and changed my insurance:  not able to carry anyone anymore except family."

OR you COULD just try the direct, but polite approach:

"Sorry, but if I am being honest, you seem to be starting to assume I am your Uber.  Occational ride here and there in a pinch is one thing, but this is starting to feel abusive.  I can no longer allow you to take advantage of me."

Personally I'd go for the last one.

Just say I'm not a bloody taxi service,and you ain't getting anymore free rides,it's as simple as that,cruel to be kind.

• Chris

Tell her you are not an Uber and gas isn't free and hand her a bus schedule.