Yusuf asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Pronounciation of Congratulations?

Hello! I need to learn the correct pronounciation of "congratulations". I have seen different phonetics of it. Is there a difference between AE and BE about this noun? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for all the answers:)

In terms of how it is pronounced I would say it is more like Con-grad-due-lay- sherns 

The previous answers of shuns is not correct as this is sounded out more and as shun 

In the UK it's standard to say:

'Con- grat - yoo - LAY - shuns'.

Many Americans do 'voice' the 't' at the end of 'grat' so that it almost sounds like a 'd', but I don't think this is because they think the word is linked to 'graduation'.

I believe it's simply in line with the way that so many Americans regularly pronounce an intermediate 't' : 'water' sounding a bit like 'wodder', or 'whatever' coming out as 'whadever'. It's merely a quirk of the American accent.

• Yusuf1 month agoReport

Thanks

What you *don't* want to say is:  congraDulations. 

It's used by people who can't spell the word and confuse it with "graDuation."

• Yusuf1 month agoReport

Thanks

• reme_1

con gra tu la tions

• Yusuf1 month agoReport

Thanks

There is a slight difference. In the US we tend to say con-gra-choo-LAY-shuns, rather than keeping the T sound as in BE. The pronunciation "con-grad-joo-LAY-shuns" is a regional variant, common in Texas and parts of the South.

• Yusuf1 month agoReport

Thanks

• Zirp

maybe you can hear it here: https://forvo.com/search/congratulations

• Yusuf1 month agoReport

Thanks

• Cogito

In the UK we pronounce it con-GRAT-you-lay-shuns.

The way I've heard it pronounced in the USA is more like 'cun-graja-lay-shuns'.

I haven't looked at any phonetics of it but I have never heard any difference in how it's pronounced. Since you haven't provided any examples, I can't judge the different versions that you claim exist. 

• Yusuf1 month agoReport

Thankssss