Michael asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 2 months ago

Is it better to pay a credit repair company or to send my own dispute letters?

I am working on fixing my credit score and there are a few items that are over 7 years old on my reports as well as some that are incorrect and that I need to dispute. I have a friend who referred me to a credit repair company but it's like 70-120 bucks a month. Should I attempt to dispute these myself or is it worth it to pay the credit repair company? Thank you in advance for the advice!

Favorite Answer

You're much better off writing your own letters and using that $70-$120 towards your debts.  

• rumdum2 weeks agoReport

my mom is 75 does not have email etc she pays her utilities etc  by postal money orders you wont change her and she is not in debt to anyone a@@

Do it yourself.

• Tavy

Scams all of them. They cannot do anything to repair your history, they cannot make it disappear.

They cannot do anything you cannot. I consider paying someone big money to do something you can do yourself in a few minutes to be a scam.

Also, they imply they can remove legit bad information. That is false unless you just get very lucky and one of them fails to reaffirm it.

• John2 months agoReport

There is a difference between a scam and a waste of money.  Are restaurants a scam?  What about car washes?  Or beauty salons?  A scam is defined as a dishonest scheme, or a fraud.  You are defining a luxury item.  There is a big difference.

Credit Repair companies are largely scams.