Is it cruel to take away a child's blanket for the night as a form of punishment?

And maybe their sheets and pillow, too

Favorite Answer

I don't think it's inappropriate to take away a comfort blankie if that is a natural consequence for whatever the undesirable behavior was.

If you're asking if it's cruel to take away all bedding so the child is cold and uncomfortable all night, the answer is yes.   Any physical punishment that continues into a child's sleep (such as experiencing cold all night) is abusive IMO. 

If its cold yes

I wouldn't say its cruel, moreso, it just doesn't accomplish anything. I don't know what your child did, but it's not constructive to do that, and you should never punish a child, its about discipline.

So, whatever your child did, you need to wise up and be the more mature person. I'll give you an example of how discipline works- When my niece who's 2 ran up the street without me, I made her hold my hand the entire way home and she was a) brought right inside and b) was told not to run up the street. Discipline is about making the child aware of where they went wrong, and giving them tools/education, so that they can help fix their future mistakes. Punishment OTOH, is about doing a wrong to spite a wrong, its vindictive and counter productive, I think you'd be very wise to learn the difference.

• LizB

I dunno, did they specifically misuse the bedding in some way? Did they ruin your bedding or a sibling's bedding? The punishment should fit the infraction.