Can I plug my computer into my modem and still have other devices run on the wireless?

We have an Optimum Arris modem with a Trendnet wireless modem attached. I want to plug my computer directly in so I wont have anymore wireless signal issues. However a lot of things in the house run off the wireless signal. If I plug directly in, will everything work or is it an either/or scenario? I m clueless when it comes to hardware.

The modems I have are:

Optimum Arris TM822

Wireless: TrendNet TEW-818DRU

The Trendnet has 4 ports on the back.  I'm assuming I have to plug my computer in from there.

• VP
    Favorite Answer

Depends on what you're calling a 'modem'. Tell us the make & model of your modem and we'll give you a good answer.  Also tell us if you have a separate router, too.

-- edit --

For the record, your Arris device is a [cable] modem and your Trendnet device is a router [which explains the 4 LAN ports in the back].  You should NOT plug your computer into the modem, but you may plug your computer into 1 of the 4 LAN ports and still have Wi-Fi work.

• Joe

Agreeing with VP: connect your computer to the TrendNet box, (a router, not a modem), any of the black ports, and it will work perfectly.

Yes the two should not interfere with the other. As long as your wifi is enabled, your connected devices (wired/wireless) should get internet.

• Lv 7

of course. total, you can have up to 254 devices.

• BigE

The modem lets only 1 device talk to it.  So if you put a switch between the modem and your router and plugged in your device, whatever device first tried to use the modem would work (and the other would not work).

The whole point of the router is to allow multiple devices (wifi or wired) use the connection, hiding behind a single ip, the one that the modem provides.  So the modem must be directly connected to the WAN side of the router, and your

computer MUST be plugged into any of the 4 ports (those are switch ports) in the back of your router.

• ron h
      4 days agoReport

switches are silly if you've got a router, and using the term "switch" just creates confusion

• GTB

First, the term "optimum Arris modem" is insufficient, is it a strict modem or a modem / router? I suspect it is a modem / router if it has more than one network port. It is critical to have this answer. Second, the Trendnet is not a modem; it is a router with most likely both a wireless access point and a 4 port unmanaged switch integrated into one single unit. Plug the pc into one of these switch ports.

• P

The Trendnet wireless router automatically manages both wireless and wired devices at the same time.  You just plug your PC into one of the ethernet ports on the back of the Trendnet router and you are good to go! 

• Shaun O2 months agoReport

Thank you!!

It’ll work normally for all your other WiFi devices. 

• Joe

I'm not sure of what equipment you have, and how it's connected and configured.

However: if either device has a bank of connectors on the back (usually four), you should be able to connect your computer to one of those with an Ethernet cable without interfering with any of your wireless devices.

• Shaun O2 months agoReport

That's what I wanted to hear.  It has 4 spots for plugs. Now I just have to make sure I get the right wire.  Thank you.