Maylita asked in SportsHorse Racing · 2 months ago

What do you think of the horse racing industry?

I am writing an assignment at University about horse racing and what goes on within the industry. Therefore, I just wanted to find out people's opinion's on horse racing as well as your experiences either attending a horse racing event or working at one. It can be either good or bad. Thanks

For me, it's more about what happens to race-horses once retired for whatever reason.   While in training, most race-horses, which are usually very valuable, have a pretty good life these days.  Horse Welfare is making sure horses are not abused (in the UK at any rate).

I was hooked after a company my husband worked for had a Friday evening outing in Newmarket (on the July Course), ending with a concert (which we didn't stay for as we had to get home for our hounds).   We went to most of the main meetings in Newmarket through the Flat Racing season.   And I'm a super-fan of Frankie Dettori - even named my current Basset Frankie - he's KC registered as (*** kennel name) Latin Lover.   So he kind-of had to be Frankie.

I'm not, however, keen on National Hunt racing as for me, horses aren't meant to jump (or they'd not be able to be kept in paddocks!).   I've never been to those meetings, other than years and years ago when I went to a Point to Point meeting.  I do watch some on TV but hate seeing them coming in often dead tired.

And again it bothers me when it comes to post-retirement for many of these horses although many do go on to have a new career - eventing, hacking or dressage even.

• DEBS

Exciting to watch. Fun to hang out for an afternoon. Could care less about the betting. Haven't been in 15+ years and likely will never go again. Too much abuse, injury, and death for the animals.