Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAustraliaGeneral - Australia · 8 months ago

Girl travelling alone in Sri Lanka?

I'm thinking of going to Sri Lanka, and I am willing to go by myself - I don't want to come across as racist, but does being a white woman place me at risk in being in a dangerous position in Sri Lanka?

I'm reading other people's accounts of their trip to Sri Lanka, however there are so many conflicting views.

Thank you!

Thinking of doing volunteering. Will be staying in central Sri Lanka. 

Of course you will  not be safe. 

Don't you remember the Terrorists attacks in Sri Lanka .  I would consider the risk too high read this link >https://www.businessinsider.com.au/safest-countrie...

• J

You would be taking a significant risk.

It depends what you are planning on doing. If you are going to stay at a beach resort the whole time you will be fine. I wouldn’t really recommend going around Colombo by yourself at night. Areas like Galle also have quite a few shady characters. 

Once on a night out by myself in Sri Lanka I ended up at what I assume was a drug baron’s house. He was an ex-general apparently. I was the only white face for miles and we were down some railway tracks in the middle of nowhere. There were guys with AK47s at the front door and in the garden. I played it cool and sat down for a game of carrom with a bloke who had one eye. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t bricking it a bit. Don’t trust the tuk tuk beach boys. 

• Fantom

Please make sure your affairs are in order before you leave.