Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Why don't cars have pull starts, like lawnmowers?

Update:

You would need a password, then...PULL AWAY! Then- pull away.

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

The compression ratio's in modern cars are now two times higher now than when cranks were used. It would be impossible to have a rope pull starter with a large enough diameter to be able to pull the crankshaft, rods and pistons against 10.5 - 11.5 to one compression ratio. A typical single cylinder lawn mower engine is 3 - 4 times smaller than one cylinder in your car and the compression ratio is only 5.5 - 7 - 1. The compression ratio is figured when the piston is at bottom dead center of it's crankshaft stroke all of the valves are closed as opposed to the volume of the air and fuel when the piston compresses it into the combustion chamber.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

they used to, well, hand cranks.

• Anon
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Isetta "bubble" cars have lawnmower engine and pul e rope. still used a little in Europe.

• 2 months ago

The Battery Lobby makes significant contributions to Congress. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Idk good question

Source(s): i
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

The same reason you don't have a brain.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

They used to have cranks that the driver needed to turn by hand to start the engine, but people prefer electric starters.

• 2 months ago

Nobody is strong enough to pull start a 4 cylinder engine. But why don't you try it and see. I don't want to read about you getting your hand wound up in it and snatched off at the wrist either.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

cause noone made them that way

• Anon
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Isetta "bubble" car had a pull rope. So did a lot more, I guess. Not  Recently, No. Not an Answer, a side step. 

• CB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Because lawnmowers have 3-6hp and cars have 100-500hp - get it now?

• ...Show all comments
    • CB
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I have a 1.0L 4cyl and it is 125hp - the Mini Coopers are putting out nearly 300hp in a 4 cyl - None in the USA under 100hp  lastly NOFUCKINGBODY wants to get out an pull a rope to start a car much less a lawnmower- they don't even want to get out to buy fast food.

• 2 months ago

No one would be strong enough to turn over the engine.  The original Model T Fords had hand cranks.  They caused lots of broken arms.

• ...Show all comments
    • Anon
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Not my  daddy   nor any of his family  broke a wrist. Gotta do it Right. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.