Sean asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 10 months ago

If someone has a green left arrow, do they have to maintain their lane in the turn?

Update:

I was making a right turn on red, but I had my own lane because there were two lanes. Some guy across traffic had the left green arrow, but drifted over into my lane as I was turning. Does the other driver have to maintain their lane during a green turn arrow? Keep in mind I am from Ohio.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago
    Favourite answer

They should do that for safety and to avoid changing lanes without proper signal. Opposing traffic intending to make a right turn needs to not have to guess if the car is going to take their lane and crash into them.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Read your Driver's Training Manual AGAIN  It has PICTURES.

• Zheia
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

They should stay in the lane and follow the direction of the green arrow if it's a filter traffic light.

• Dan B
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Yes until the turn is completed (book answer).

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 months ago

YES!!! There are many people out there that do not know how to drive

• 10 months ago

You have to stay in your lane, and he has to stay in his lane. Technically neither one of you will then come into contact with the other. That's the de juro answer. But the fact is few people know the law, and though you are in the right, he still might hit you, leaving you witha the hassle of collision repairs and having to deal with insurance companies. Next time wait until all the cars have made their left before making your right on red.

Source(s): 20 years on the NYPD
  • 10 months ago

Yes. At some intersections, more than one lane turns left, and it's really important that they don't hit each other.

• CB
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

That is my understanding - but it doesn't happen very often, people think they get ALL the lanes when they turn left.

• ?
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

You should always maintain your lane in a turn. 

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Most states have a law stating just that.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.