Transporting firearms?

When I declare I have a firearm while checking luggage at an airport, do i need to have a concealed permit to be able to have checked through TSA?

No. You do not need a concealed permit. The declaration you make to the airline is to declare that the firearm in question is not loaded. Just make sure it is in a locked hard-sided case. 

Once the checked bag is placed on the belt, wait about 15 minutes before going to the checkpoint. This is in case the key/combination is needed to open the case. (There is a good reason for this.)

For further info:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-a...

Addendum: Since you are asking this question, I see you are a responsible gun owner whom I appreciate. Unlike the multitude of nitwits that try to bring their loaded firearms including a round chambered (WTF?)  aboard as carry-on and claim to have "forgotten" it was there. They make responsible gun owners look bad. (I had one whom I caught that stated "But Obama said you can't see anything" I responded. F-CK YOU!") 

Source(s): Work part-time as a TSA officer.