if a dish doesn't say "microwave or dishwasher safe" would it be safe to assume it contains lead?

Update:

I mean the glaze.  

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    No.  Lead is not that abundant to be used in cookware.  However if the dish is not glazed and has bright colored pictures of flowers painted on it using White, Yellow ,or Green, then there is a good chance it is not food safe.   It is just a picture plate.  Lead made the colors brighter which is why it was used in the paints.    If it is glazed over, then that separates your food from the paint.  They did not use Lead in the glaze.

     It is not a tough Corel type plate.  If you drop it on the counter it will break.  Which is why it does not go into the dishwasher or in the microwave because the heat change in the plate from rapid heat to cold table cold will cause it to crack.  It is a plate to look at like a picture of fine art.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • Who
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

     Why would you want to assume anything - except not to use it in a microwave or dishwasher?

    the why's and wherefore's are irrelevant

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

    There's no connection at all between being dishwasher/microwave safe and lead.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • Frank
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

    No...it means you can subject it to the HEAT of a dishwasher...nor the MICROWAVES in an oven. Dish glaze SHOULD NEVER CONTAIN LEAD. If it does (there are testers)...THROW AWAY THE DISH.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • R K
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    no, there is no lead in dishes

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

    No it is not safe to assume it contains lead!

    It might have metals (not safe for a microwave).

    It might have a low melting point (a plastic).

    Lead has been banned from food ware use for a long time now. So long that if something has a warning label about a microwave and dishwasher the odds are the article does not contain lead.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • .
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    nope, just means not to use in dishwasher or microwave

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • Mark
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    If it doesn't say "microwave safe", then it probably had lead in it.  A good (and safe) way to find this out is to put an empty plate and a Pyrex measuring cup full of cold water in the microwave.  If, after a minute, the water stays cool but the plate gets warm, there is lead it the plate. Some cheaper plates say "microwave safe", but have lead in them.  (Guess where they are made?)

    • Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

      That is not what "microwave safe" actually means.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • Lita
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

    No, it wouldn't be safe to assume it contains lead. It would safe to assume it's not made for the dishwasher or the microwave. That's all it's safe to assume about that dish. 

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    It will be safe to assume the dish will either melt or fry your microwave.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.