I just bought a 1987 toro single stage snowblower.  What is the gas to oil ratio?

I bought my daughter a single stage blower back in 2004 and it has 50 to 1 on the gas cap but my 1987 doesn't have any ratio on the cap.  Can you help?

Probably about 70 percent

are you sure it is a two cycle engine? [owner's manual is online and will tell you -- get model number off the data plate] Problem with one that old ... it may hate ethanol in the gasoline -- seals on truly old engines failed when exposed to ethanol -- to get around this, use only marine or zero ethanol fuel in such engines.

Source(s): grampa
  • Snezzy

Are we certain that it has a 2-stroke engine? If it's a 4-stroke, like the snowblower I used a very long time ago, the whole "oil" situation is different, in ways that you already understand.

I moved further south than I was before, and the local attitude is, "The Lord put it there. The Lord will take it away." Shoveling occasionally helps the Lord work His wonders.

Try searching online for the blower's particular engine. Some "antique engine" guy might know something.

32:1.  25:1 if you do not see any smoke.

I would mix 40:1. Without a model number or manual I would guess that 30 years ago it might have called out for 32:1, but that was based on oils made back in 1987, which were significantly inferior to modern two-stroke oils, so what the manual says isn't really relevant, new oil at 40:1 is better than old oil at 32:1. If by chance the motor was an early 50:1 EPA spec due to age and probable wear I would still run 40:1.

• roger

40:1   should   work.

throw it away and upgrade to newer one.