If you buy a car in a state that you don't live in, can you take the signed title and get new plates in the state you do live in?

You need to have a temporary plate before you can drive it to the state where you live.

• May

Yes of course you can. Buying a car out of state is no different than buying in state.

• g

Of course you can, John, that's the way it works.

Simply take the signed over title you receive from the seller to your local area DMV offices.  Then apply for a transfer of title.  Done!  

• Ron

You are legally required to do so

Yes... … .. .. .. .. .. .

Yes, you can, the alternative being never being able to register the car where you live.

• Scott

You can't register a vehicle in a state you don't live in. Does that answer your question?

This happens quite frequently, and that is standard procedure.  When titling the vehicle, it is titled in your state of residence.  The license plates will also be be of the state that issues you your title.  This is true regardless of whom sold you the vehicle, be it a dealer or a private party.  I'm a used car dealer, and if an out of state purchaser buys a car from me, as long as he/she has paid for the car in full, I give them the title, purchase agreement, odometer disclosure, etc. and they take the title and the other paperwork to the DMV of their state and apply for a title of their state of residence.  Also when someone doesn't pay the car in full, and owes me money, the process is still the same, except that I personally apply for the title in the name of the purchaser because I have an interest in ensuring that the lien is recorded on the title, but the title is still from the purchaser's state of residency.

• Rick

sure, just did it last month .............................

• User

Yes, of course.

You might have to get a new title in your state of residence (first or simultaneously).

Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in your state of residence to see what must be done for you to get plates in that state.