Why do sore throats related to colds make you feel the urge to keep swallowing?

This doesn’t happen every cold that I get, just the odd one. It usually happens during the night on the first day of my cold and I’ll wake up with a sore throat and I have the urge to swallow constantly. It’s happening to me right now and I’m just wondering why/how it happens. My throat doesn’t even really hurt at this point, just feels weird. And does anyone know how to stop it from feeling this way? Cause mannn it’s annoying and kept me up half the night 😂

The cold virus has most likely caused damage to the epithelial (surface) layer of cells at the back of your throat. While this layer sounds like it's undergone repair to the point that the pain is gone, it has not yet recovered the function to secrete mucous that keeps your throat from drying out. Until then your body will urge you to swallow in order to counter act the drying effect. Something you can do to treat the symptom is to coat the area with something that will linger and moisten the affected area. Honey is an effective household remedy that will stave off the symptoms in the short term until your throat has recovered.

The feeling in your throat makes your brain think there is something in your throat. By attempting to swallow it you brain is trying to prevent that thing from being aspirated. It is actually a fairly basic survival mechanism.