can I get in state tuition if I’ve never lived in Atlanta but my guardian has?

Hi so I’m planning on moving to Atlanta from Virginia after high school and attending community college, I’ve lived with my mom all my life in Virginia, but the person I will be staying with (my guardian) has lived in Atlanta basically all there life, since they will be my guardian can I get instate tuition? (Sorry if this is confusing)

9 Answers

  • Lili
    Lv 7
    8 months ago
    Favourite answer

    No. Not at the CC.

    First of all, once you're 18, you can't have a legal guardian.  Parents' residences still count after you're 18, but no "guardian's" residence would, because the person isn't your parent or legal parent-surrogate. Only mentally-disabled people have legal guardians after the age of 18.

    Second, in-state and out-of-state tuition normally aren't charged by community colleges anyway, because they are for local, in-state residents. Out-of-staters don't normally attend them. They attend their own community colleges in their own states.  CCs are not the same as 4-year public universities. They charge all students the same fees, because all their students are normally in-staters anyway.

    However, if you live in the state while attending community college, then by the time you complete an AA, you will probably have qualified for in-state tuition at a 4-year university in Georgia, because you will have lived in the state for a certain amount of time. So, you can transfer to earn a bachelor's degree.

    I suggest that you hold down at least a part-time job while going to school to establish a tax history.

  • 8 months ago

    Sorry, but your guardian/custodial parent has been your mother in Virginia. You have no "guardian" in Georgia once you graduate from high school, turn 18. You pay out-of-state tuition in GA.

  • di
    Lv 4
    8 months ago

    Unless your Guardian is a court appointed LEGAL guardian, that person has nothing to do with your state of residence.  Most schools go by the parent's state of residence when determining in-state/out-of-state tuition eligibility.  Even if your GA guardian is your LEGAL GUARDIAN, a school can and probably will question the validity of your status, since you've been residing with mom in VA and graduated from H.S. there.

  • nancy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    In most cases, eligibility for in-state tuition for a dependent student is determined by where the student's parent lives. Most states do not consider moving to the state for the purposes of attending school to be legal residence for in-state tuition purposes, so even if you physically reside in the state with a relative or other guardian, you wouldn't be eligible.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

    No.  The only way that would work is if you were still a minor and your mother relinquished her parental rights.  Just staying with a friend or family member doesn't make them a legal guardian -- and once you are age 18, you don't have a guardian because you are legally an adult.

    In-state tuition is based on where the supporting parent/legal guardian lives and pays taxes.  You could move to Georgia, establish residency by working there for a year or two and also supporting yourself -- not getting any financial help from your mother in Virginia.  Then you could, in theory, apply as a state resident.

  • 8 months ago

    no. CC in Georgia will look at your high school transcript and conclude that you are a Virginia resident. You'll have to provably work in GA for a year to qualify for instate tuition

  • drip
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    No not for a university, your HS transcript will show you have been living in Virginia with a parent.  

    You may need to check with the community college.  At our local CC as long as your current address is with in their boundaries (and you can prove you live there- utility bills, cell phone bill - they will allow in residence tuition.  They also gave in residence tuition if you worked with in their boundaries.  My son had a job at the CC cafeteria and got the lower tuition rate.

    You need to call the CC you want to attend and get facts from them about their policies 

  • 8 months ago

    Nope. The rule is for your residency in the state, for probably a year. You should be able to find that information on the school's registration information. The fees for community college should be low, compared to the 4 year universities.

  • 8 months ago

    No, you can't get in-state tuition just because you move in with a resident.

    Your residency is based on your parent's address for tax purposes, at your age.

    Your guardian is irrelevant.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.