Please have an opinion on this report?

My sister daughter has got ear pain and suggested for a scan.

The scan report came and doctor is suggesting for minor surgery costs around 35k.

I dont know anything on this and hence requesting for your opinion on this and way further treatment.

The 1st thing I would have checked out is the inner ear. I had an inner ear infection in the most unlikely place, a hospital. I was scheduled to have a tumor taken off the side of my face the next day and I told my surgeon that my left ear was killing me so he took a look and he said he couldn't see anything but I told him it was really hurting. He thought I was trying to back out on the surgery and I told him no, I elected to have it done so his top student asked him if he could take a look and the surgeon told him he could and he told the surgeon that he could see redness down in my ear so they gave me some medicine and in the morning I was okay. What I'm trying to say is if they weren't looking for inner ear problems then they could've missed it completely. 

1 day 1 of my sisters called me and told me she was having ear problems and she had been able to sleep for 3 days so I went up to her house and she knew that I use tobacco for anything that I can so I was going to put tobacco in her ear, I had done it previously but then she said she had an appointment the next day for another doctor to look at her ear, so I told her there would be no way to get all that tobacco before she had to go so I decided to just put it around her ear, I didn't know if it would work or not, I left it on her for awhile and then I cleaned her up and went home, she called me the next morning and told me she had been able to sleep the night before and when she got back from the doctor the next day, the doctor said she did have an inner ear infection. Now what I would suggest you do is check her ear and see if she has fever in it, if she does inner ear infection is probably what she has.Very few people know that tobacco has been used to treat about 80 different ailments that plague mankind and it has been used for Ks of years as medicine. It is very powerful stuff. The 1st thing she should do is check her ear for fever.

There's roughly 28 million people in the US that would have identical results if they had a similar scan.  These findings are typical of someone that has chronic sinusitis.  The scan shows that the sinuses are mostly normal, except for changes you expect to see with chronic inflammation.  There isn't anything in the scan results that suggests that a surgical solution would actually help.   So the question to ask is why does she have sinus inflammation if the sinuses are mostly normal?    For most people its caused by allergies. Instead of looking for surgical procedures to fix the symptoms, it makes more sense to see if the cause can be eliminated.

See if an antihistamine relieves the symptoms.  If an antihistamine (such as Zytrec, Allegra, or Claritin) works, nothing more needs to be done.  If an antihistamine helps but does not completely clear up the problem, try a decongestant such as the generic version of 12-hour Sudafed.  If there's still more that needs to be done, take her to an allergist to get tested for allergies.   If allergens are causing the problems, she can take allergy injections to desensitize her.   All of these steps should be  tried before considering surgery. 

Google "chronic sinusitis" for more information.

• Tavy

She has a MILD problem, no way would I have this operated on. It could clear up on it's own. It sounds extreme to me in the UK.

She needs to get a second opinion. I would be very cautious with doing that type of surgery especially with what they'll be charged. 

Source(s): I'm a nurse.

If you are having doubt about the efficacy of the surgery, have a second opinion from another good doctor and not rely on Y/A