My Chevy Cobalt ran with the reduced engine power light on but would not start again. Mechanic said starter is bad. Could that b the cause?

• Rick

starter ???  IF the car was running, how COULD the car computer KNOW ???

• zipper

We need a bit more info here, but that could be the cause. The starter may of been stuck engaged that caused the engine drag in the first place.  It well could be the trouble!

I've never heard of a "reduced engine power light" being a thing. There's a limp-home mode, but I don't know if there's a specific light for it. If it's not starting then it could be the starter.

• Liz

Get a second opinion from a different mechanic.

Is the car cranking but would not start?  Or is it not cranking at all?  No crank at all, starter could be bad.  Cranking but not starting, starter is not bad.  If the car is cranking but not starting, suspect a bad throttle body.  Get a scan tool and read for any codes first.