My Chevy Cobalt ran with the reduced engine power light on but would not start again. Mechanic said starter is bad. Could that b the cause?

• Rick
    Favorite Answer

starter ???  IF the car was running, how COULD the car computer KNOW ???

• Rachel2 months agoReport

They said the starter was draining the battery?

• zipper

We need a bit more info here, but that could be the cause. The starter may of been stuck engaged that caused the engine drag in the first place.  It well could be the trouble!

• YKhan

I've never heard of a "reduced engine power light" being a thing. There's a limp-home mode, but I don't know if there's a specific light for it. If it's not starting then it could be the starter.

• Rachel2 months agoReport

yes limp home mode is the same thing.  Why would the starter cause that?

• Liz

Get a second opinion from a different mechanic.

• Rachel2 months agoReport

I called back basically the mechanic didn't listen to a word I said over the phone about the engine light just went by the fact it wouldn't start when towed in.  Great!

Is the car cranking but would not start?  Or is it not cranking at all?  No crank at all, starter could be bad.  Cranking but not starting, starter is not bad.  If the car is cranking but not starting, suspect a bad throttle body.  Get a scan tool and read for any codes first.