What should I look for in a violin bow?

I bought my daughter a really nice used violin for her birthday. Her orchestra teacher tells me the violin itself is very, very nice - apparently worth quite a lot more than I paid - but that the bow that came with it needs replaced. She gave me a sure to look at and there are about a hundred options if different woods, carbon fiber, and plastics. What should I be looking for?

The bow has two parts, the frame and then the fibers which come in contact with the strings. The most important thing is what contacts the string and not what the bow is made out of. Because she is just beginning get the most durable material for that purpose. If she sticks with it a better bow can be purchased later. The object is to minimize the damage to the violin.

• humpty

The bow depends on the player. Get yiour daughter's teacher to go with her and pick one out. Be aware that good ones are pricy. Mine cost seven hundred dollars, but I have been playing half a century.

For your daughter you can expect to pay a hundred if it is worthwhile, and it is unwise to cheap out. The quality of the bow will directly affect her desire to learn.

Did you not ask the instructor for recommendations?