Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 8 months ago

Is it easy becoming a registered nurse?

I'm thinking about becoming a registered nurse and I would like some tips.

Also, would taking CNA classes help?

• KaleyK

For most people it is not easy, but it is achievable.  I work in human resources at a large hospital and talk with many RN's.  They all agree the biggest hurdle is "medical terminology".  Medicine, like many professions, has its own language and learning that language can be very difficult.  You should know that there is nothing stronger in the world than the human brain ... if you set your mind on being an RN, then you can be an RN. 

• :)

I mean, no. Lives are in your hands. If you get a BSN, it’s 4 years+ of rigorous science/health/math courses.

Just an fyi that nursing (and/or counseling or social work) field is said to have a high burn-out rate.  The nursing student is supposed to be strong in science-related courses.  The nursing school curriculum should be especially intense with a LOT of information, knowledge and procedures to be studied, learned, and memorized.

The CNA classes may help with if a student or RN who is working alongside patients while helping with daily living skills or "activities of daily living" (ADLs), which includes feeding, bathing and showering, grooming, dressing, using the commode, and/or walking and transferring (such as moving from bed to wheelchair).  If there is no CNA (or LPN, if they're employed at that location) currently present, the RN may need to do the tasks of the CNA, so having the additional training *might* help with increasing one's competence with those skills.  Please be aware that even the job of CNA has been known to be both mentally (psychologically) and physically draining. 

** Please do some *job shadowing* (with prior staff approval) in the various clinical settings that RNs may work before taking pre-req courses.  Perhaps you may consider volunteering in some health care settings as well, even if the nursing (or other type of health-related) program doesn't require community service hours.

Even if "medical terminology" isn't a pre-req class for nursing (or allied health or medicine), it's still recommended to help with reading patients' charts and overall basic knowledge.

Nursing students will most likely have to obtain their certification in BLS (basic life support) CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation), such as through the American Heart Association (AHA), especially before "student clinicals."

Most hospitals either prefer or require RNs to have their bachelor of science in nursing (BSN), rather than "just" an ADN (associate degree in nursing).

Please make sure that the nursing program is approved by the "State" Board of Nursing (BON).

For more general career info:

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/ and can type into search.

• Judy

No, the schooling is not easy, and neither is the job.

I wouldn’t look for another rewarding career that is maybe better paid

Honestly?   It's not easy but it's also not particularly difficult for reasonably intelligent human beings.   It only requires two years of community college.

Obtaining one's BSN is more challenging and provides twice as much education and training.   

I really have no clue why there is such a large discrepancy in the pathways to becoming an RN.   What I DO know is that RNs with BSNs will have more career opportunities and better pay than those who only put in the two years.

I know quite a few folks who had no education and were looking for a better career who squeaked through two years of community college for a career that pays very well compared to the minimum wage jobs they were doing before.

• Rick B

You can become an RN by obtaining an associates degree or a bachelor. I would recommend skipping the ADN and just jumping in and getting your BSN.

.

It is one of the most difficult bachelor degrees out there, so be prepared to do a lot of reading and studying.

.

An RN at a mid-sized hospital in a decent city can make $60,000 right out of school. With overtime and specialization (like ICU or Oncology) you can easily pull down $100K a year.

.

Shifts are typically 12 hours in a hospital and you work three of them each week to be considered full time. Many nurses take on a second PRN (as needed) job where they work one to four extra shifts a month.

.

It is very rewarding, but hard work.

.

Pay is pretty much the same whether you have an ADN or BSN, but hospitals that want to be recognized as "Magnet Status" need a percentage of BSN trained nurses, so they tend to hire them over ADNs. Also, getting your ADN, then going back for your BSN ends up costing more in the long-run.

.

Good luck.

.

I am a Nurse Practitioner and a clinical instructor for nursing school. I went straight into my BSN, then later got my MSN (work paid for a good portion of that degree).

No it isn't. You have to graduate college, then go to nursing school.