How do I handle second graduation?

When my son, who was in special ed, finished high school he was awarded a Certificate of Achievement as opposed to a diploma. He participated in his high school's graduation, cap and gown, took senior pictures, we had a little party with cake after the ceremony, the whole 9 yards. People came and gave him very generous gifts, we treated it like it was his graduation because at the time we thought it was. He has since started doing GED (HiSet) classes and has taken 3 of the 5 tests required for a diploma. He's passed them and we're so excited. Assuming he passes the the other 2 tests and gets his actual high school diploma, I don't know how to handle a celebration. We are all SO EXCITED about this and honestly never thought it would happen, so we we want to celebrate. But I don't know what is appropriate considering everyone already gathered to celebrate (3 years ago) and gave him gifts. Suggestions?

I'm not looking for gifts from anyone.  Just so incredibly thrilled that he's earning his diploma.  

• drip

You have a private celebration for the immediate family only.  You do not throw another party.

Yes you are excited and feel free to share the news. Celebrate it.   But not with second party with guests. 

You take the immediate family to a fun dinner and play night. Maybe it’s pizza and the arcade or sushi and a movie. 

You already threw a ‘graduation’ party; you can’t throw another one and not look tacky or like gift-grabbers. 

Do you also wonder if you should celebrate his birthday, since he had another one just a year ago? I'd do about the same thing you did for his first 'graduation'.

I would suggest a family celebration. If would be tacky to expect another round of presents from friends. 

If you're son had graduated college or university right now, you would still be celebrating, right? It doesn't matter if it's so soon after his last graduation. It's just another achievement that requires celebrating.

When I graduated high school, I didn't even participate in the ceremony. I just waited a week and picked up my diploma at the registrar's office. There's no reason to celebrate because it isn't a big deal. Besides, it sounds like you celebrated already.