Heat proof/resistant internet router?

I am looking at adding a second access point to my home to provide a better signal for my security cameras on the opposite side of the house. The problem is the router must be in the attic and it gets very hot during the Texas summers so I'm looking for a router that can withstand the heat. Are there any good ones or any routers that are meant to handle high heats?

Favorite Answer

Most routers cap out at 120F, it gets hotter than that in a roof.

Instead, I suggest a 'mesh' network, the added advantage is only 1 SSID vs an extender.

• GTB

First, you do not need a second router. I assume the cameras are wireless and out of range of the wireless access point built into your existing router. In fact your router is a router + wireless access point + 4 port unmanaged switch integrated in a single device. You need a wireless access point (WAP) at the remote location that can be powered by Power over Ethernet (PoE) and a PoE Injector All you need to do is run a CAT 6 cable from unmanaged switch to the PoE injector and another from PoE injector to the Wireless Access Point. If it must be in the attic, get an industrial grade WAP that is able to take the high temperature.

Why does  "the router must be in the attic" apply here... anyone who does networks knows that is a bad, bad, bad idea.  Heat kills computers, do you run your laptop in the attic?  NO bet you don't.  Routers are computers (dedicated operating systems but they use the same computer technology). Move it out of the attic! 

There are outside wifi antennas that can work in heat companies like Ubiquiti Networks (ubnt.com), EnGenius, WAVLINK, and others make those units.. even then OUTDOORS does not get a hot as an attic!  Some of those outdoor units can also be used as routers. They might help... but move them out of the attic!

• Mmm J

Depends on the cameras.

I have an 8-IP camera Swann 4K security camera system. All the cameras are run with Ethernet cables into the one NVR on one side of the house... the NVR is plugged into a network switch (along with a Samsung 4K TV and AppleTV. The network switch is plugged into a NetGear network extender - not a router.

I was setting some options in the NVR recently and found that the cameras don't need to be plugged into the NVR... a network switch would be fine. The NVR will see the camera on the network and assign the camera to a "port" on the NVR.

To provide you with more assistance, we need to understand if the cameras you are using are wired or wireless, indoors or out and what they are feeding (local or cloud storage)...

If we don't get more detail, would it be possible to locate the electronics (whether access point, WiFi extender or network switch) mounted to the ceiling of a centrally located closet rather than the attic? It would still be warm, but not as hot as the attic... and possibly more accessible for potential "maintenance" needs.

• Riley2 months agoReport

They are wifi not ethernet

I personally use an Amplifi mesh system, where the router is in my living room and one of the mesh points is located in a bedroom as close as possible to a Ring security camera that is outside my garage.  Works great.  All of this is connected wirelessly and it's all located in the climate controlled comfort of my home.

The other option is an outdoor rated access point that is wired (Ethernet) to your main router.  You could actually have an outdoor rated access point outside, like under the eaves and not exposed to direct sunlight or put it in the attic.  

• BigE

You probably just want an access point anyway, not a router.

First, you can get one that is POE, so the power supply doesn't need to be there also.  You can use a power injector to feed it, because most consumer switches/routers can't power a POE AP.

Now you can drill an access hole in your ceiling and mount the AP upside down in any accessible room or hall ceiling.

If you look at many public buildings, this is how access points are installed, upside down broadcasting out (it actually works better this way). And with POE, you won't have to worry about a power adapter or installing an outlet in the attic.  

• P

It's just not a good idea to install an access point in a hot attic and you still will have the issue with some devices trying to connect to the unstable weaker signal anyway.  Just upgrade to an AC1900 or higher rated WIFI mesh system.  WIFI effects your everyday life and some things you just need to spend the money on to get it to work perfectly.  They work so well you will know why people recommend it after you have it for awhile.