Is a associate degree in IT enough to be a web developer?

A computer science degree is expensive and takes about 5-6 years to get. I just want to be a web developer, will a associate degree in computer information systems be enough to qualify me for a web developer job?

I'm also going to learn different coding languages on my own to give me a better chance. 

Its about time you americans to buy a cricket bat 1grade  second grade does make the cut .BUy australia cricket gear but wash it first we beat the english and indian only if we believe

I am self employed. I make websites.

Learning about different coding languages is fine, but your going to have to somehow sell yourself in this competitive industry. Please don't think after I finish school then I will automatically be qualified as a web developer, or if I learn different coding languages on my own then that will give me a better chance. My response is NO!!!!

My reason, for saying no is because a person can say I learned this, or I learned that, and never produced anything!!!

You learning about different coding languages is probably not something another person is going to want to know about. You being able to produce something is what people are going to want to see.

• Judy

Not enough for getting a job at most companies.

No. Sorry. Employers hire skills and ability.  It is unlikely that a relatively generic "computer information systems" AA/AS degree would provide you with the skills to be a web developer.  Many community colleges offer web design and coding.  That's what you need to take to get that type of job.  

As others have noted, there are plenty of applicants with bachelor's degrees, which makes it much harder for people with only a 2-year degree to be considered.  The key here is that if you've actually developed websites, you'll have a better chance of landing a job doing that.  If you have two years of classes and no "portfolio" of work, it will be much harder.  

• DEBS

*Can* you be a web developer with an AA?  Sure.  It's all about what actual knowledge you have.  Will you be able to get your foot in the door with just an AA?  That may be tough.  Once you have several years of experience, the lack of a BA/BS will not be as important, but you may find it easier and a better long term career advancement plan to have the better degree.  Getting an AA and then working in the field while completing your BA is a good path as well.

• Blonde

My suggestion is to grab a few business classes, or maybe seek a degree in teaching. The field is flooded with web designers, if you do not diversify your education, you’ll be working at Walmart at minimum wage. There’s a shortage of certified electricians, with that you could make six figures per year. There’s also a shortage of general contractors and skilled carpenters. I say...follow the market for employment. I am a realist.

Most can have their pick of 4 year degreed individuals. An associates degree is nearly worthless.

You can lower the cost of a 4 year degree by completing your 2 year degree at a juco. Just be sure to find out which courses are transferable. Way back when, the degree had a few courses that would not.

I'm guessing yes you can.  Check the job boards & see what the requirements are.  Having said that, you're also competing with those that have 4 year degrees.  By the way, I've heard there's lots of web developers out there looking for jobs. 

I'm a mainframe pgmr/analyst with a comp sci degree.  Never done any web development though.