What is “Kiss From a Rose” by Seal about? Is it truly one of the greatest songs of all time?

Seal deliberately writes songs that can be interpreted many different directions, so the exact meaning for him is not known. The greatness of this song, originally written in 1988, can be taken from its international appeal. Songfacts states "this song was a worldwide hit, scoring in the Top 10 in Australia, Austria, Denmark, the Netherlands, France, Ireland, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, the US, and the UK."

How do you define great? What's great to some people may not be great to others.

You are probably entranced by its use of modal linear and harmonic construction, for some portions of the song.  Been around since the 1400s - easily.  Used to make something sound timeless - and therefore authentic and traditional.  HARDLY the best song every written - but if you and many others enjoy it, then mission accomplished.  I was just listening yesterday to a King's Singers recording of Christmas carols, with really angular and atonal accompaniments.  The exact opposite of the saccharine and soupy usual stuff (and I have arranged hundreds of educational and professional works - you write to recipe, for the situation).  For some, if they make ME nauseous - then it is just what the client or situation needed.  Same and more so - for pop music.  Mostly about $$. Less often for the art of it.  Hate to sound jaded - because the rest of my artistic life is MY CHOICE.

Yeah its good it from that Batman move its good like that light house family song high or forever idk the name 

• Jill

It's just a love song and I don't think it is one of the greatest songs of all time. Not even top 100.

• Rowan

It's about life, I think he would probably say, as most musicians would, it's better if you have your own interpretation of it.