In the longer term which will be a better source of secondary heating for my living room, gas or electric?

I have full gas central heating at home. I recently removed an ineffective gas fire from the living room, which is the coldest room in the house. Would it be better to replace it with a gas or electric fire, given that over the longer term the price of gas should go up and electric come down?

If the price of gas doubles and the price of electricity halves...... they'll cost about the same per Kw of energy.

Gas is waaaay cheaper than electricity.

If you have full gas central heating why do you need a fire in the living room anyway?   Sounds like the radiator is too small. Beef up the radiator in the living room?

Source(s): I recently replaced one small pressed steel radiator in my living room with two cast iron radiators.

Gas heating is always most cost effective and efficient than electric heating.  Get a modern gas fire to replace the old one and you will notice a huge difference.

I am not sure where you get the idea that electric prices will fall though

Inside a closed room, use only electricity for a space heater. It gets rid of venting and the leaking of air. That cost is more than any difference in the price of fuel.

Replace the old gas fire with a flueless version. These are 100% efficient, more than any boiler. No flue is required but a small fresh air vent is needed.

i would ask someone that has more experience in this about it

• John

I have 5 electric space heaters surrounding me. No gas in the house unless I go to Taco Smell.

You think the price of electric is coming down? That sure isn't what they say where I live, where it is predicted to double within the next ten years. My crystal ball isn't working today, so I can't predict what the future cost of anything will be but I tend to believe that all forms of fuel are going to cost more in the future.