Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 weeks ago

What did Jesus mean when He said "I AM"?

Favorite Answer

Jesus said this in John 8:58. The koine Greek words "Ego eimi" are present tense. Go to John 10:7 and you will find Jesus again saying 'ego eimi' and it is always translated as "I am" [the door of the sheep]. Jesus did not mean, "I have been the door of the sheep". It is not past tense, it is present tense, which is why those who heard Jesus claim to be the I Am understood correctly the implications of that claim. They took it to be blasphemy because they knew Jesus was claiming to be God! It WOULD have been blasphemy, were not Jesus God incarnate. 

In Exodus 3:13 Moses asked God how to respond to the Israelites if they asked him what the name of the God was who was the God of their fathers. Verse 14 reads, "God said to Moses, I Am Who I Am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites; I Am has sent me to you."  Go back to verse 12 where "I will be" is completed by "with you"; see also Ex 34:5-7 & 3:2-3. The Jews who heard Jesus say, "Before Abraham was, I Am" knew exactly what Jesus meant.

Scholar A.T. Robertson says in his Word Pictures in the NT (about ego eimi) "I Am. Undoubtedly, here Jesus claims eternal existence with the absolute phrase used of God." (Vol. 5 p158-9). 

• TeeM

The basic question put to Jesus was:

Are you older than Abraham?

His answer:  'I am'.

.

• Alan H

He was talking on Himself the name of God

• Saad M

Jesus (prayer and salvation of God on him) said that he was the last of the prophets (prayer and salvation of God on them), before Muhammad (prayer and salvation of God on him).

• Daymellow1 week agoReport

nowhere in bible is muchmed mentioned. and only the bible is truth. 
      : If the Bible is the Word of God, the Qur’an is not. (since Q and B don't coincide)
        If the Bible is not the Word of God, the Qur’an is not.(the quran says bible is word of God)

It's actually an abbreviation. The I stands for Iraq, the space represents the middle eastern geopolitical divide, the A stands for Arabia, and the M stands for Muslims. Basically, and this is a huge oversimplification, Jesus is providing a social commentary on the strife of early 21st century middle Eastern politics, as Iraqui culture becomes less related to it's historical Arabian origins and how the people of Iraq are straying from Allah, the one true God. 

Source(s): Took a religious geopolitics course at university this year, got an A- but still a quite good grade.

Jesus really is the Son of God. And to remain silent could be construed as a denial of his being the Christ. So Jesus courageously replies: (Mark 14:62) “I am; and you will see the Son of man sitting at the right hand of power and coming with the clouds of heaven.” 

• 2 weeks agoReport

JEWS MUST BE ELIMINATED UNLESS THEY LEAVE PLANET EARTH. HUNT THEM DOWN LIKE ANIMAL
      (Seek "Danny Woo vk" in Google or Bing for book of life, A science book that dont exist in human world)

Jesus' words are a reference to God. Moses asked God "whom shall I tell the people it was that sent me to them?" God told Moses to tell the people that I AM sent you; I AM WHO AM."

Source(s): Exodus 3
    • 2 weeks agoReport

(Seek "Danny Woo vk" in Google or Bing for reach book of life, A science book that dont exist in human world)

It means he "IS" and always has been. 

He was unmistakably calling himself Jehovah.

The thing to remember is that Jesus is not the God he worships and prays to. He is the creation and the begotten son of God. That is what the New Testament teaches. Who is this higher, holier God? Elohim.

• mom

not one person has seen Jehovah but they seen the Son who is Jesus Christ. Jesus prayed to his Father and said he can not do anything without the Father in heaven

• Paul

One of many places He indicated He was God. The Jews to whom He was speaking considered God the great I AM.

• David

Yep, that's the name he gave Moses.  I AM